Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woodworking software

woodworking software

I picked up a new BlackBerry 8130 and was wondering if anyone knew of any woodworking software for it? I've checked the usual sites, but looking for a fractional calculator to add feet and inches.

Thanks,
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Ok, Started doing BlackBerry development at work. Looks like I'm going to write my own. Below are some ideas I'm starting with and using info I have. Anyone have a wish list? Posting any info you have would help...Thanks

Regular calculator
    Fractional Calculator
    Reference material (Drill/tap charts, speed charts, wood types and info)

Thanks,
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

How about some details on your programming project... Sounds interesting.

Can you do metric conversions?

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. For the fractional calculator code I have, the fraction method basically breaks down the input to decimal to make calculations, so should be able to convert it from there. (1/64 = .0156 = 0.3969 mm).

I'm still on the learning curve of seeing what I can do with the BlackBerry JDE, but looks to be easy enough. Should be able to port some java applets over for a good part of the project too as needed.
    Darren

How about a board foot calculator?

You might also look at http://www.woodbin.com/ for some other ideas for woodworking utilities.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaugh, thats a pretty comprehensive list, should be able to come up with several ideas from it.
    Darren

Not just for wood

This is one I use all the time at home and work:

http://joshmadison.com/article/convert-for-windows

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Here's a start

I've got the first calculator built. It does addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of feet, inches, and fractions. The results are displayed as feet/inches/fraction or 0'-0 1/2" (see pics). The software is compiled in 4.2.1and is signed. Your BlackBerry will need 4.2.x or higher OS to run it. It's only been tested on the Pearl 8100 and 8130, but should run on any running 4.2.x and higher.

I'll post the files after I do a little more tweaking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShopCalc01.jpg   ShopCalc02.jpg   ShopCalc03.jpg  
    Darren

Darren, interesting project, best of luck with it.

Eddie, welcome to the Family, and that is a great program, I just downloaded it and installed it, very useful, thanks much!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very cool, Darren. Let me know when you go beta with it. I'll give it a spin. (You'll have to edumacate me on how to install it, though.)

I like the fact that you have to think in RPN for your operations. (Or at least it appears that way.) Does it use a stack like an HP calculator?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com