Cleaning a sewage backup

Jeff Horton

Yup, what a way to spend your afternoon. Seems the main line to the septic tank stopped up. The bathroom in The Lab (basement shop) has the lowest pressure relief valve (toilet) and it relieved the pressure from upstairs just fine! A rented plumbing snake and after running it through a couple of clean outs, all seems well once again. Water is running the right direction now. ;)

I think this is one time the "No pictures, didn't happen" rule should be null and void. Lets just say it's going to take a while to be comfortable using that toilet again! There is a mental image in my head that going to take a while to get out.

Now the question. While the backup wasn't a lot of water, obviously it was black water and contaminated. Lots of toilet paper on the floor. It soaked into the slab too. Got any suggestions for cleaning the slab? The smell isn't nearly as bad as I expected. It's really not even strong but I want to get rid of any smell. I can't stand a dirty bathroom.

Yup, what a way to spend your afternoon...Got any suggestions for cleaning the slab? The smell isn't nearly as bad as I expected. It's really not even strong but I want to get rid of any smell. I can't stand a dirty bathroom.

Bleach to disenfect OR baking soda to help remove the odor.

NOT BOTH!

If you use the bleach, it make take a while to get it's smell out, but at least the area will be sanitized.

Yech! Nasty job, huh? BTDT...don't want the T-shirt!

We had a similar issue once, but it was the city's fault downstream. Anyhow, we poured maybe two whole bottles of bleach into the areas with standing water (1/4") and where it looked like things had gotten wet. We let the bleach sit for 4 - 6 hours and then shop vacced it up. The odor went away quickly.

Our basement entrance is through the garage - we left the door open for ventilation. Might be time for some septic tank bacteria recharge maybe?

Good luck!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Jeff.

Mine was outside....septic pump went out. :doh:

This pipe is for the power and control lines, which I replaced....pump, pipe and wiring. That's just mud.....

G

Mine wasn't that bad. Just wet the floor in the bathroom and just a few feet into the shop. A lot of paper on the floor but a shovel and acid brush took care of that. Actually there was very little smell last night, quite surprised that it has never really smelled that bad. Have not walked down there this morning but will shortly. May not smell at all.

Have the run the rental Plumbing Snake back to Huntsville. 1 hour drive. But I was just glad to not to have to pay a plumber weekend/holiday rates! And was happy to find a rental place open on Sunday. Bless the BORG! Thats one good thing I can say about them.

Time of the some Corn Flakes and to hit the road. yawwn.