Thread: whats the best finish for :

whats the best finish for :

hi all ,

well the time has finally come to finish this project . what would you use , shellac and wax , oil and wax , or 1/3 tung oil,1/3 BLO , 1/3 polyureathane ?

i really want the grain to pop ! the case is cherry , the door fields are waterfall bubbinga veneer , the drawer fronts are redgum veneer along with the inside door fields .

so whats going to give me the best pop for my time and effort ????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet complete 1.jpg   cabinet complete 2.jpg  
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Quote Originally Posted by jim capozzi View Post
    hi all ,

well the time has finally come to finish this project . what would you use , shellac and wax , oil and wax , or 1/3 tung oil,1/3 BLO , 1/3 polyureathane ?

i really want the grain to pop ! the case is cherry , the door fields are waterfall bubbinga veneer , the drawer fronts are redgum veneer along with the inside door fields .

so whats going to give me the best pop for my time and effort ????
    Why not try a bit of each on some of the veneer offcuts and decide?

hi mark ,

i went with bush oil , 2 coats so far, with 2 more planned. then i will follow it up with a couple of coats of wax

GRIZZLY

From everything I've heard about Bush oil, I think you're going to be really happy with your decision.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I like to use two or three coats of danish oil followed by a few coats of poly.

hi al ,

if you haven't tried bush oil yet , i highly recomend it
    from what i have seen so far using this stuff you might be able to skip the poly altogether. i don't know exactly whats in this stuff but it leaves a sheen like semigloss , and smooth as a babys butt

GRIZZLY

I think there's poly in it. And the oils soak the urethane into the wood too in addition to a surface protection. Little scrathes won't hurt the protection - you kind of have to take a chunk out of the wood (like my dogs did to one of my thresholds... ).

"Brush oil" is not something I'm familiar with. Would someone supply a link, manufacturer's name, or picture?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Here is a vendor link. Not surprisingly, it is rather difficult to search for this product, as Google returns many hits regarding someone other than Bill Bush with respect to an oil that tends to be slightly darker in color than Bush Oil.

Lakeshore Hardwoods up kinda near Griz's neck of the woods sells the stuff too. I think it is a northeastern niche product. I hope the guy makes a business so that the stuff is available after he passes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Here is a vendor link. Not surprisingly, it is rather difficult to search for this product, as Google returns many hits regarding someone other than Bill Bush with respect to an oil that tends to be slightly darker in color than Bush Oil.

Lakeshore Hardwoods up kinda near Griz's neck of the woods sells the stuff too. I think it is a northeastern niche product. I hope the guy makes a business so that the stuff is available after he passes on.
    Well, it would have helped if I could read and did my search on BUSH oil and not BRUSH oil.

Thanks for the link!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com