whats the best finish for :

jim capozzi

hi all ,

well the time has finally come to finish this project . what would you use , shellac and wax , oil and wax , or 1/3 tung oil,1/3 BLO , 1/3 polyureathane ?

i really want the grain to pop ! the case is cherry , the door fields are waterfall bubbinga veneer , the drawer fronts are redgum veneer along with the inside door fields .

so whats going to give me the best pop for my time and effort ????:dunno:

Attachments

• cabinet complete 1.jpg
    cabinet complete 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 20
  • cabinet complete 2.jpg
    cabinet complete 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 26
hi all ,

well the time has finally come to finish this project . what would you use , shellac and wax , oil and wax , or 1/3 tung oil,1/3 BLO , 1/3 polyureathane ?

i really want the grain to pop ! the case is cherry , the door fields are waterfall bubbinga veneer , the drawer fronts are redgum veneer along with the inside door fields .

so whats going to give me the best pop for my time and effort ????:dunno:

Why not try a bit of each on some of the veneer offcuts and decide?

hi al ,

if you haven't tried bush oil yet , i highly recomend it :thumb:
from what i have seen so far using this stuff you might be able to skip the poly altogether. i don't know exactly whats in this stuff but it leaves a sheen like semigloss , and smooth as a babys butt :D

I think there's poly in it. And the oils soak the urethane into the wood too in addition to a surface protection. Little scrathes won't hurt the protection - you kind of have to take a chunk out of the wood (like my dogs did to one of my thresholds... :doh:).

Here is a vendor link. Not surprisingly, it is rather difficult to search for this product, as Google returns many hits regarding someone other than Bill Bush with respect to an oil that tends to be slightly darker in color than Bush Oil.

Lakeshore Hardwoods up kinda near Griz's neck of the woods sells the stuff too. I think it is a northeastern niche product. I hope the guy makes a business so that the stuff is available after he passes on.

Here is a vendor link. Not surprisingly, it is rather difficult to search for this product, as Google returns many hits regarding someone other than Bill Bush with respect to an oil that tends to be slightly darker in color than Bush Oil.

Lakeshore Hardwoods up kinda near Griz's neck of the woods sells the stuff too. I think it is a northeastern niche product. I hope the guy makes a business so that the stuff is available after he passes on.
Well, it would have helped if I could read and did my search on BUSH oil and not BRUSH oil. :bang::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the link!