Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I see another tomato plant

If I see another tomato plant

I'm gonna cry. I haven't done a final count yet but theres

90 San Marznos
    88 Amish paste
    90 Golden jubilees
    40 Taxi's

I didn't count what was planted today but probably around 80 split between the Tomato tree, yellow cherry and the chocolate cherry.

Tomorrow its peppers. A few melons and pumpkins and that will be the worst of it.

Got my 3 acres for my field corn plowed today. Oh though in a couple spots I had to put the wife on the tractor and and drag her along with the bull dozer. Between it being wet in a few spots, tree roots from the uprooted pines, and the fact that it hasn't been plowed in 50 years or so it was slow going.

Wow, that's some serious garden you're putting in. I planted all 4 of my tomato plants today too. And a couple bell peppers and zuchinni and cucumbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    I'm gonna cry. I haven't done a final count yet but theres

90 San Marznos
    88 Amish paste
    90 Golden jubilees
    40 Taxi's

I didn't count what was planted today but probably around 80 split between the Tomato tree, yellow cherry and the chocolate cherry.

Tomorrow its peppers. A few melons and pumpkins and that will be the worst of it.

Got my 3 acres for my field corn plowed today. Oh though in a couple spots I had to put the wife on the tractor and and drag her along with the bull dozer. Between it being wet in a few spots, tree roots from the uprooted pines, and the fact that it hasn't been plowed in 50 years or so it was slow going.
    Oh Robert, you must cry louder than that... You know you're loving it. I know I am! In my pathetic DC metro-micro backyard, I have at least 20 tomato plants including peach, pear, lemon and grape tomatoes... 16 pepper plants, including jalapeno, salsa and habaneros... 15 bush beans (boring yellow types) not to mention the rosemary, basil, lavender and chives patch. And that's only the herb/food stuffs, not the flowers!

Last week a blue heron had breakfast on me (at least 8 big goldfish from my pond ) And this afternoon, visiting birds made quick work of the dolichos lab lab and bean sprouts I grew from seed as they sunned themselves innocently on the table near the fire pit.

All within 1/8 acre or less. Such drama.

Hang in there, man. It's all worth it!

--MJ (quick wave to Travis )
    "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."--Vince Lombardi

Curt, I'm just a glutton for punishment

MJ, we haven't even started on the flowers yet. Theres around 200 4 Oclocks out in the greenhouse, Why? because SOME ONE had that many seeds. I won't mention her name

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    Curt, I'm just a glutton for punishment

MJ, we haven't even started on the flowers yet. Theres around 200 4 Oclocks out in the greenhouse, Why? because SOME ONE had that many seeds. I won't mention her name
    LOL... the unmentionable name must be "She Who Must Be Obeyed"?

And only 200 Four O'Clocks? Heh heh! That Person and I would have a lovely time together... do you need any sunflower or datura seeds? I have at least 1,000...

--MJ
    "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."--Vince Lombardi

WOW, that's a lot of tomatoes! I usually stick with about 20 or so, Roma and Early Girl, and a couple others I've forgotten.

I do put in about 70 or so cucumber plants, though.... Japanese Tasty Green

What kind of peppers do you plant, Robert?

My wife and I have an agreement. The garden is her baby. And she fills it with tomatoes. I built it, I'll mulch it, and even water on occasion, but I don't plant it or prune it.

You see, all through college (and half of high school) I worked in a greenhouse during the summers, so it was months of tomatoes for me. Thousands of square feet of tomatoes under glass. 2hrs of picking every day,plus sorting, plus pruning, and later cleaning.

I still hate the feel of tomato plants, and the smell isn't much better.

But the taste, is fine
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Robert, that's gonna net a boatload of veggies. I'm guessing a lot get canned?

I've not grown any tomatoes since we moved into this house, but I used to get quite a few out of six plants at my last house. I was the only one eating them, and the rest were be given away to neighbors and co-workers.

I recall reading a story years ago about a small farming town somewhere in the middle of the US where people tended to leave their car doors unlocked when they went to town on the weekends...except during harvest season. If they didn't lock them, there was a good chance they'd come back to the car and find a grocery bag full of zucchini on the passenger seat. Sounds like you might live in one of those towns.

And MJ, you really need to stop spending all your free time sitting on the couch watching soap operas and eating bon-bons. You need to do something more productive, like maybe plant a few things in the back yard or something. Man, you don't mess around, do you?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

OK - One of life's great questions....How do tomato worms know where the tomato plants will be and where to they hide the rest of the year when there are no tomato plants???

Pete, I don't know the answer. I do know that they haven't found my place in 4 or 5 years though.

Greg, the peppers are all sweet peppers,
    California wonders in different colors, green, red, yellow and orange.. theres are a purple and white variety also.

Cucumbers we just plant market more. They sell pretty well, been picking them for a month now. I raise them right in the hotbed in the greenhouse.

Vaughn, yeah we can a lot. the rest go either to the market in Pittsburgh, or the food bank in Youngstown