Three-Sided Ash Root Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a piece of ash root that I got from my neighbor's firewood pile a while back. It's about 6 3/4" wide by 6 1/2" tall, finished with Antique Oil, and buffed. This one has three distinct sides.

The root burl side...

HF043 - 01 800.jpg

The "Bark inclusion that ran out of bark and became a hole" side...

HF043 - 03 800.jpg

And the "Root that ate a 2x4" side. When I cut this piece up, I saw that it had completely engulfed a piece of 2x4 lumber - probably a stake driven into the ground when it was a young tree. By the time I got done turning it, the foreign lumber was just a thin wedge, but you can still see the clear line from the edge of the 2x4.

HF043 - 02 800.jpg

This wood was pretty easy to work with sharp tools, but the hole in the side made me pay attention to what I was doing. Sanding the inside was a pain, since I couldn't do it with the piece spinning.

And a few more views, since film is cheap...

HF043 - 05 800.jpg HF043 - 06 800.jpg HF043 - 07 800.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as always...

Now that is a unique turning! Lots going on in that piece and you did a great job orienting it to show it all.

I've only got one question. Why do you Southern Californians have firewood? :huh:

Perfect shape Vaughn, especially the top of the vessel is what I like.
I can imagine that it was a pain to sand the inside by hand, did you not give it a try doing this with a spinning piece of work, seems to me not that difficult when I look to the hole at the top of the piece, it's not that small, isn't.
I wonder why people (your neighbors) put such nice pieces of wood for the fireplace :(.

Ad :thumb:

...I've only got one question. Why do you Southern Californians have firewood? :huh:
Because all the beach babes dig curling up next to a roaring fireplace. :rofl:

Believe it or not, it's been cold enough here this weekend that we've still got the furnace running. (Last weekend we were working the air conditioner even harder, though.)

Beautiful work Vaughn! Love all the variations in the piece! Great form, rich finish and an amazing piece of wood! Very nice work!

It's 4:30 pm here - north wind, 30 degrees - that's right 30* and freeze warnings out for tonight! You can tell it's getting close to summer cause the snow is finally gone!