joan's tool case updated pictures inside

jim capozzi

hi all

first off, happy memorial day !

ok as promised, i said in a "what are you working on this weekend post" that i would start a new thread when i had the finish on it . its got finish on it i think i have found a new favorite finish for cherry atleast ! the pics are not the greatest but i think you will get the idea.

this is the first two coats of bush oil , i have planned on 3 or 4 and then a coat or two of wax . comments and critiques welcome , thats what makes me a better woodworker :D

pictures of the inside to follow soon when the tools are in it and theres something to see ....

Attachments

• tool case finished 1.jpg
    tool case finished 1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 105
  • tool case finished 2.jpg
    tool case finished 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 53
  • tool case finished 3.jpg
    tool case finished 3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 126
  • tool case finished 4.jpg
    tool case finished 4.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 35
  • tool case finished 5.jpg
    tool case finished 5.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 38
  • tool case finished 6.jpg
    tool case finished 6.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 29
  • tool case finished 7.jpg
    tool case finished 7.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Your tools are going to be most than happy of having such a place to rest:thumb:

Just a question about the doors, I guess they are veneered, did you the veneer yourself or got the board alredy made?

And last but not least, what wood is it?

thats way too neat and organized, Id never find any tools like that.
I usually dont mind when I drop a screwdriver or allen wrench set on the floor, this way I know where it is when I need it 45 minutes later.

Jim,

This is one good looking tool case. I'm not familiar with Bush oil. Can you bring me up to speed on the characteristics/where to buy?

Thanks,

hi lee ,

ok to be upfront about this, i am no expert on finishes by any means . with that said, i saw that after effects of this oil finish at my favorite hardwood supplier : www.lakeshorehardwoods.com it is an oil finish like the rest but with a higher resin content i think. the more coats you use the more gloss shine you build up . this may seem kind of tedeous doing 6 or 8 coats on the finished piece but you see the results. (i stopped at 6). this is really the only oil finish i will reach for in the future. it may be a little pricey at 18-20 bucks a quart but i paid 9 bucks for my last pint of specialty stuff i got , so this isn't bad as far as i am concerned. ok i am off to make some more progress on my daughters end table HTH

p.s. lakeshore does do mailorder :D

p.p.s. i think this stuff is also available at some woodcraft and rockler brick and mortar locations , not sure about the web because of shipping limitations :dunno:

Last edited:
Hi Jim :wave:,
That is a nice gift for storage of tools. The soss hinges seem to work well and the tint you used on the doors really helps to show the grain. I guess those are magnetic strips? I don't get to see the new ideas except here. :dunno: would you change anything on another one?
Thanks for the pics.
Shaz :)

Hi Jim :wave:,
That is a nice gift for storage of tools. The soss hinges seem to work well and the tint you used on the doors really helps to show the grain. I guess those are magnetic strips? I don't get to see the new ideas except here. :dunno: would you change anything on another one?
Thanks for the pics.
Shaz :)

hi shaz ,

thanks for the nice comments first off :D

there is no tint anywhere on the case , its all natural wood color with the bush oil finish including the door fields .

truthfully i would not use those hinges again. they are much too persnickity to get the mortises cut in the right place and still have the doors operate fully DAMHIKT :eek: i would have thought that you put them in the middle of the wood. 3/4 wood , 3/8 hinge makes sense right ? not ! there are much easier hinges on the market to deal with :doh:

would i change anything ? yes absolutely ! next time i would use a solid wood back or shiplap or something along those lines . we covered the hinges already . i really liked the veneer for the door fields and would like to get more of that for future projects. lastly one of these days i am going to start working from plans , instead of flying by the seat of my pants . it causes alot of going back and forth to catch potential problems before they get too big to fix .

i would also not use the magnetic tool holders i would fashion individual holders or another type of holder made of wood .

Your tools are going to be most than happy of having such a place to rest:thumb:

Just a question about the doors, I guess they are veneered, did you the veneer yourself or got the board alredy made?

And last but not least, what wood is it?

hi tony ,

yes the doors are veneered, i made them myself with a vacuum press i got from rockler woodworking. the veneer is waterfall bubbinga and the wood for the rest of the case is cherry .

there is no tint anywhere on the case , its all natural wood color with the bush oil finish including the door fields . (......:thumb:......S)

truthfully i would not use those hinges again. they are much too persnickity to get the mortises cut in the right place and still have the doors operate fully DAMHIKT :eek: i would have thought that you put them in the middle of the wood. 3/4 wood , 3/8 hinge makes sense right ? not ! there are much easier hinges on the market to deal with :doh:
(Soss hinges are not the easiest to install and have no real adjustment after you put them in the mortise:doh::rofl:, makes it challenging that's for sure. I chuckle as I have and still experience the "joy:eek:" of mounting the Soss.! In their defense, they work better in some applications than any other hinge I ever used! Thanks Jim, for your feed back, I understand the frustration. Don't completely eliminate them from your palette. S)

would i change anything ? yes absolutely ! next time i would use a solid wood back or shiplap or something along those lines . we covered the hinges already . i really liked the veneer for the door fields and would like to get more of that for future projects. lastly one of these days i am going to start working from plans , instead of flying by the seat of my pants . it causes alot of going back and forth to catch potential problems before they get too big to fix .

This is my reason for using a story pole/board. It becomes my plan. It becomes the exact dimension for my work, penciled in on a board that I can refer to, change and discover potential problems before the wood cutting goes on. I highly recommend this method to those realizing the need for plans, and have the ability and desire to create those plans themselves. :thumb: S

i would also not use the magnetic tool holders i would fashion individual holders or another type of holder made of wood . (interesting!)
Thanks Jim for looking back on your project with us. It is a good job done, as has been you sharing. :wave:
Shaz

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the details about the oil you used. I may just have to get me some to try on a future project. The cost isn't that prohibitive. Is the veneer you used some of that amazing tree they were selling through Rockler? I would love to have a stockpile of that wood!! Again, great job and look forward to seeing other projects you may have in the works.

Regards,