Thread: used Delta contractor saw

used Delta contractor saw

I have a chance to get a gently used Delta contractor saw from a local guy. It has only been used a few time in the past 20 years. I did try it out and everything works great. He asked me what it was worth and I was not sure. From looking around they seem to be in the $300 to $500 range. It has the stamped steel wings on it. What do you think of the price range? I really need to get a saw as my RAS as too much slop in it.

Al,

You can get a brand new Delta contractors saw, with the cast iron wings, and a nice T2 fence from amazon for $600+ (free delivery)

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-36-980-H...1922214&sr=1-3

You will probably get lots of "buy a used cabinet saw and fix it up" replies too.

I'd look around some more if it were me.

What make and HP is the motor?

What accessories come with? If there are half a dozen blades and a dado set that would help.

How smooth does it run?

What fence system is on it? << this would be a deal killer for me, some of the older systems simply suck compared to a modern system, so if the fence system is a good one, that would sell it for me.

Depending on the stuff listed above, I'd offer the guy $200, then if he balks, you can go up a bit

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Al,
    As others have said - it depends. I have an early 70's Rockwell/Delta contractor saw. Cast iron wings, 1hp motor, (had) jet-lock fence. I paid $100 for it around 18 years ago. The stamped steel wings aren't as desirable (IMHO), but if you are like most, you'll replace them with laminate tables anyway. I think the $1-200 range is fair.
    My jet-lock fence worked well once I became accustomed to it's idiosyncrasies. The only reason I replaced it was the Lowes/Beismeyer deal last year.

Depending on the price he'll take it could be a good addition to your shop.

FWIW,
    Wes

I will have to give it a good look over the next time I see him. I figured if I could pick it up cheap, then it might be worth upgrading the fence at a later time. I will see what all he has with it.

I guess I am the odd ball but I prefer stamped steel wings to cast iron. And I would say what ever you do don't get the cast iron that have the openings in them to lighten them up. Great places to hurt a finger bad. They slip thru the holes and the stock bumps up against them and major pain and potential for serious damage.

I had an old Wards saw with a universal motor for 20 years and a few years ago bought a new Delta contractors saw and it was like going to a cabinet saw compared to what I had. That said I have made many more things on the old Wards saw because I had the time.

The Wards saw turned out to be a re-badged Black and Decker. My son still has it.

That said I see a Saw Stop in my future somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    I guess I am the odd ball but I prefer stamped steel wings to cast iron. And I would say what ever you do don't get the cast iron that have the openings in them to lighten them up. Great places to hurt a finger bad. They slip thru the holes and the stock bumps up against them and major pain and potential for serious damage.
    I wouldn't say odd ball - especially if you have to move the stinker - cast iron is a pain literally! I like the additional weight the wings add (when not moving the saw) and for whatever reason, I don't care for the recesses stamped in them. Though the recesses in theory create less drag.
    I would agree 100% on the waffle wings. A friend had a Craftsman with those and cursed them every time he used it - and had the scars to show for it.

Good luck which ever way you go. If it doesn't feel right, just remember another one will come along soon enough.

Wes

I have a lightly used (probably less than 50 hours) 91 Delta contractors saw, stamped wings, Jet lock fence. I figure it is worth $250 and it is in very good condition.
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Whiting View Post
    I have a lightly used (probably less than 50 hours) 91 Delta contractors saw, stamped wings, Jet lock fence. I figure it is worth $250 and it is in very good condition.
    Do you deliver?