is scribd legal?

Mark,

Like so many things, it's perfectly legal, unless someone misuses it. Posting your docs to share is cool, but putting up the complete works of H P Lovecraft likely runs afoul of the DMCA. You put video you shoot up on youtube, right? Just because someone else is posting episodes of the family guy up there too doesn't make youtube, or your stuff there, illicit... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Vaughn,

I think Mark may have meant the other FW, Fine Woodworking has a paid subscription member only section. I saw at least one, possibly two of their articles on Scribd.

Just because someone builds a site and allows any content to be posted on the site does not make it legal.

Stealing IP is still stealing.

It was the Fine Woodworking plywood article (here is FWW, properly pronounced eff double-double-ewe - which sounds like some wierd post-apocalyptic mutant sheep child - I really need to spend more time in the shop and less time playing Anarchy Online, huh?). I wasn't sure if maybe the author posted it at scribd or something. It didn't end up being any more informative than open public sources I also found anyhow.

I hadn't heard of scribd either - finding the article there was my first experience.

Last edited: