This is a piece of mallee burl I picked up at Rockler a while back. I had a hard time deciding on a base I liked...this maple one is about the 5th or 6th one, but I think I'll call it done. The color seems complimentary to my eye. (Still haven't glued it in place yet, though.)
The top is about 13" x 9", and it stands about 3 1/4" tall. The bowl itself is about 5 1/2" wide. This has my standard Antique Oil followed by lacquer finish, with the cut parts buffed. The cut face of the blank had been dipped in paraffin wax about 1" or 2" deep, so I had some work getting the wax out of the nooks and crannies of the backside. In the end, a heat gun and paper towels got it handled.
Figured I'd post a whole boatload of pictures, and let you guys sort through them.
Attachment 20914 Attachment 20915 Attachment 20916 Attachment 20917 Attachment 20918 Attachment 20919 Attachment 20920
I didn't have a lot of wood to grab with the chuck. This stuff was HARD, and my Forstner bit was dull. I had things smoking by the time I got the hole this deep.
As always, I'm open to comments, critiques, or suggestions. Let me know if you think the base should stay, and if not, what you'd replace it with.