Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mallee Burl Bowl

Mallee Burl Bowl

This is a piece of mallee burl I picked up at Rockler a while back. I had a hard time deciding on a base I liked...this maple one is about the 5th or 6th one, but I think I'll call it done. The color seems complimentary to my eye. (Still haven't glued it in place yet, though.)

The top is about 13" x 9", and it stands about 3 1/4" tall. The bowl itself is about 5 1/2" wide. This has my standard Antique Oil followed by lacquer finish, with the cut parts buffed. The cut face of the blank had been dipped in paraffin wax about 1" or 2" deep, so I had some work getting the wax out of the nooks and crannies of the backside. In the end, a heat gun and paper towels got it handled.

Figured I'd post a whole boatload of pictures, and let you guys sort through them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 01 800.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	20914 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 02 800.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	20915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 03 800.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	20916 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 04 800.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	20917 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 05 800.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	20918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 06 800.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	20919 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 07 800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	20920

I didn't have a lot of wood to grab with the chuck. This stuff was HARD, and my Forstner bit was dull. I had things smoking by the time I got the hole this deep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 047 - 08 800.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	20921

As always, I'm open to comments, critiques, or suggestions. Let me know if you think the base should stay, and if not, what you'd replace it with.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, this is a beautiful piece of wood and you have done a terrific job of displaying it.

I have limited experience with turning this kind of burl but let me share what I was taught by someone who turns a lot of them.

Instead of mounting the burl by drilling a hole in the back for the chuck to expand into he suggests mounting the burl to a sacrificial faceplace made from MDF using wedges and hot melt glue to get the display surface in the correct plane for turning. The sacrificial faceplate should be as large as you can swing on your lathe and allow you to position your blank anywhere within its circumference without having the blank hit the lathe.

Basically you locate the center on your blank where you want to turn your bowl. Then using the tailstock and three or more hands position the blank against the sacrificial faceplate. Then using a square, square up the face of the blank until it is perpendicular to the ways of the lathe bed.

Fix the blank to the sacrificial faceplate with lots of hot melt glue and wedges. Obviously the wedges are to help keep the blank face perpendicular to the ways and parallel to the faceplate. You can also screw weights to this sacrificial faceplate to help balance the whole contraption for smoother running.

I know this may be difficult to understand after reading the crappy explanation I have written but I think you will get the drift.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Thanks for the idea, Mike. I don't know if that would have worked on this one, since it didn't have a good natural foot to set it on. It wanted to list pretty badly to one side. I also thought of screw chucking the face to make a flat foot on the bottom, but it would have wiped out quite a few of the spikes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn,

Looks like it's time for me to renew my congratulatory posting - the one that carries me through 10 of your turnings and helps me avoid having to post the same message for each of your projects.

Wow! Neat! Way cool! Nicely done! Really sharp! Beautiful! and the ever popular "nice photography!"
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Stunning. But I nearly cried at the thought of all the fine pen blanks that could have made.

Beautiful Vaughn. Well Done
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well Vaughn, Rennie says it all, so for the change I'm doing it in Dutch, verrassend mooi, goed gedaan!!
    Ad

Beautiful piece Vaughn. Very nice wood and well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful wood. Nice job on turning this one. I like the little base that it stands on.

Beautiful piece, Vaughn. I happen to like the foot very much as it would have been a shame to turn away any of those pins. That's a neat idea you had and one I will have to use sometime.
    Cody