Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time to replace the fence (around the yard)

Time to replace the fence (around the yard)

Not on my saw...

The old wooden fence has seen better days. It sags like an old mare, has a big hole in the gate, and one section blew down last fall and I've been holding it up with a piece of rope for almost 6 months.

We want to replace it with (please sit down) vinyl. Mostly because of privacy issues as we live next door to the Adams family. Wood has to move too much and you must leave space between the boards. And, yes, they do peek through the cracks. Of course I could build my own and use board and batten, or ship lap, but that's one heck of a lot of digging and being out in the sun (and out of the shop). And before anyone says anything about our need for privacy, we only do that AFTER sunset. I'm talking more about when we have guests over, wise guys.

I've gotten a few quotes for vinyl and most have been around $3400 for the 184' of fence with one gate. That's the standard tan stuff. Nothing fancy. What confuses me is that the price for a 6' section at the borg with the posts and cement would cost me nearly as much and I still have to do all the work! Does that seem right?

Do any of you have vinyl fence? Do you like it? Aanything I should watch out for?

For those who don't believe without seeing...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2377.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	20993 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2378.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	20994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2379.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	20995
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie,

Does the current fence belong to you? Reason I ask, is the "nice side" is on the Adam's family side...

If it's yours, why not stabilize with concrete and bracing where needed, replace the boards on the other side if broken or whatever, and then put alternating boards on your side (to block the peeping eyes) and give you a nicer look?

Should be able to do it cheaper all around, and a lot easier than the option of putting up a whole new fence by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    we live next door to the Addams family.
    Really? Hmm, I didn't know you lived at a cemetary...

Name:	2007_05_arts_addams.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	20997

Of course, it could be worse...

Name:	The_Simpsons_The_Addams_Family.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	20996

But on a more serious note, sorry, don't know nuthing about vinyl fence. But I was thinking the same thing that Greg asked. Check the survey and make sure it really is your fence!

ttfn
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Hi Rennie ,
    I think you should just change the fence on your saw and let it go at that. It will be much cheaper!
    Maybe when you have guests you could invite the Adam's Family too! That way you have all the ayes on your side of the fence.

Good luck! Wish I could help!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Rennie,

Does the current fence belong to you? Reason I ask, is the "nice side" is on the Adam's family side...

If it's yours, why not stabilize with concrete and bracing where needed, replace the boards on the other side if broken or whatever, and then put alternating boards on your side (to block the peeping eyes) and give you a nicer look?

Should be able to do it cheaper all around, and a lot easier than the option of putting up a whole new fence by yourself.

Rennie's mileage may vary of course, but here at least the 'nice' side has to face the neighbor, you may make your side look as good as the other side, but the bones of the fence cannot be exposed to the neighbor's side.

and no, that doesn't include any roofing materials
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Rennie,

Does the current fence belong to you? Reason I ask, is the "nice side" is on the Adam's family side... Yes, it's mine

If it's yours, why not stabilize with concrete and bracing where needed, replace the boards on the other side if broken or whatever, and then put alternating boards on your side (to block the peeping eyes) and give you a nicer look? Most of the posts are rotting near the ground and likely to break off in a good wind. I can't tie them all up!

The fence is in much worse shape than the pictures let on. I could do a board and batten on the existing - I thought about it - but the whole thing is son unstable.....

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Rennie's mileage may vary of course, but here at least the 'nice' side has to face the neighbor, you may make your side look as good as the other side, but the bones of the fence cannot be exposed to the neighbor's side.

and no, that doesn't include any roofing materials
    You are 100% right.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    You are 100% right.
    Is that a neighborhood association rule or some such thing? Here, the "nice side" of the fence faces who bought it. That's how my neighbor explained it to me. Chain link fence works differently, on the other hand. Just curious.

I liked Greg's suggestion of placing alternating boards to block the peepers. I would enjoy more sitting there waiting for them to look through with a water hose in my hand, but then I would be a bad neighbor...

--MJ
    "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."--Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Isles View Post
    Is that a neighborhood association rule or some such thing? Here, the "nice side" of the fence faces who bought it. That's how my neighbor explained it to me. Chain link fence works differently, on the other hand. Just curious. City ordnance

I liked Greg's suggestion of placing alternating boards to block the peepers. I would enjoy more sitting there waiting for them to look through with a water hose in my hand, but then I would be a bad neighbor...

--MJ
    You don't know how many times I started for the hose and my wife stoped me. She's a good neighbor.

www.wrworkshop.com

I priced a vinyl, six footer around yard and up to where back ofhouse begins, then local law says only 4 feet high along house, and 3 feet in front if wanted.
    My neighbor, well, I wont get into it, but last year I ordered 12 rolls of bamboo fencing so I wouldnt have to see his face, didnt work.
    So I hung some tarps on a 16 foot section . I wish I would have paid and put up vinyl.