Time to replace the fence (around the yard)

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Not on my saw...

The old wooden fence has seen better days. It sags like an old mare, has a big hole in the gate, and one section blew down last fall and I've been holding it up with a piece of rope for almost 6 months.

We want to replace it with (please sit down) vinyl:eek:. Mostly because of privacy issues as we live next door to the Adams family:rofl:. Wood has to move too much and you must leave space between the boards. And, yes, they do peek through the cracks. Of course I could build my own and use board and batten, or ship lap, but that's one heck of a lot of digging and being out in the sun (and out of the shop). And before anyone says anything about our need for privacy, we only do that AFTER sunset.:D I'm talking more about when we have guests over, wise guys.:rofl:

I've gotten a few quotes for vinyl and most have been around $3400 for the 184' of fence with one gate. That's the standard tan stuff. Nothing fancy. What confuses me is that the price for a 6' section at the borg with the posts and cement would cost me nearly as much and I still have to do all the work!:eek: Does that seem right?

Do any of you have vinyl fence? Do you like it? Aanything I should watch out for?:dunno:

For those who don't believe without seeing...
DSC_2377.jpg DSC_2378.jpg DSC_2379.jpg

Rennie,

Does the current fence belong to you? Reason I ask, is the "nice side" is on the Adam's family side...

If it's yours, why not stabilize with concrete and bracing where needed, replace the boards on the other side if broken or whatever, and then put alternating boards on your side (to block the peeping eyes) and give you a nicer look?

Should be able to do it cheaper all around, and a lot easier than the option of putting up a whole new fence by yourself.

we live next door to the Addams family:rofl:.

Really? Hmm, I didn't know you lived at a cemetary...

2007_05_arts_addams.jpg

:rofl: :rolleyes:

Of course, it could be worse...
The_Simpsons_The_Addams_Family.gif

But on a more serious note, sorry, don't know nuthing about vinyl fence. But I was thinking the same thing that Greg asked. Check the survey and make sure it really is your fence!

ttfn
...art

Hi Rennie :wave:,
I think you should just change the fence on your saw and let it go at that. It will be much cheaper! :rolleyes::rofl:
Maybe when you have guests you could invite the Adam's Family too!:eek::rofl: That way you have all the ayes on your side of the fence. :doh:

Good luck! Wish I could help! :dunno:
Shaz :)

Rennie,

Does the current fence belong to you? Reason I ask, is the "nice side" is on the Adam's family side...

If it's yours, why not stabilize with concrete and bracing where needed, replace the boards on the other side if broken or whatever, and then put alternating boards on your side (to block the peeping eyes) and give you a nicer look?

Should be able to do it cheaper all around, and a lot easier than the option of putting up a whole new fence by yourself.

Rennie's mileage may vary of course, but here at least the 'nice' side has to face the neighbor, you may make your side look as good as the other side, but the bones of the fence cannot be exposed to the neighbor's side.

and no, that doesn't include any roofing materials

Rennie,

Does the current fence belong to you? Reason I ask, is the "nice side" is on the Adam's family side... Yes, it's mine

If it's yours, why not stabilize with concrete and bracing where needed, replace the boards on the other side if broken or whatever, and then put alternating boards on your side (to block the peeping eyes) and give you a nicer look? Most of the posts are rotting near the ground and likely to break off in a good wind. I can't tie them all up!

The fence is in much worse shape than the pictures let on. I could do a board and batten on the existing - I thought about it - but the whole thing is son unstable.....

Rennie's mileage may vary of course, but here at least the 'nice' side has to face the neighbor, you may make your side look as good as the other side, but the bones of the fence cannot be exposed to the neighbor's side.

and no, that doesn't include any roofing materials
You are 100% right.

You are 100% right.

Is that a neighborhood association rule or some such thing? Here, the "nice side" of the fence faces who bought it. That's how my neighbor explained it to me. Chain link fence works differently, on the other hand. Just curious.

I liked Greg's suggestion of placing alternating boards to block the peepers. I would enjoy more sitting there waiting for them to look through with a water hose in my hand, but then I would be a bad neighbor... :laugh2:

--MJ

Is that a neighborhood association rule or some such thing? Here, the "nice side" of the fence faces who bought it. That's how my neighbor explained it to me. Chain link fence works differently, on the other hand. Just curious. City ordnance

I liked Greg's suggestion of placing alternating boards to block the peepers. I would enjoy more sitting there waiting for them to look through with a water hose in my hand, but then I would be a bad neighbor... :laugh2:

--MJ
You don't know how many times I started for the hose and my wife stoped me. She's a good neighbor.:rofl:

I priced a vinyl, six footer around yard and up to where back ofhouse begins, then local law says only 4 feet high along house, and 3 feet in front if wanted.
My neighbor, well, I wont get into it, but last year I ordered 12 rolls of bamboo fencing so I wouldnt have to see his face, didnt work.
So I hung some tarps on a 16 foot section . I wish I would have paid and put up vinyl.

Some Santa Ana's blew a section of my front fence down right after I moved in. As a quick fix I put up some vinyl from the BORG; fence panels and gate, 6' high. It's been up 3 years and been through our windy season; looks great and no problems. I thought it was a temporary fix. Neighbor and I are talking about doing the front to back section this summer.

boy rennie i wouldnt have listened to her on the water hose,,they woulda been wet!!!!1 as for your fewnce i to agree with greg,,heck make your side stought enough to hold up and let here side wether away nothing says you have to maintain there side it was once the good side.. they use vinly fence's over where my brother works on a pharamcutical company research farm and have for years they love it and ihave gotten some of the left overs that were takein out for changes and it was stil in good shape.. but the main root of your trouble is the neighbors,, you could just move to twhere you had some privacy like ken has out inthe country and get rid of your city life in a fenced in pasture:D:rofl:

I priced a vinyl, six footer around yard and up to where back ofhouse begins, then local law says only 4 feet high along house, and 3 feet in front if wanted.
My neighbor, well, I wont get into it, but last year I ordered 12 rolls of bamboo fencing so I wouldnt have to see his face, didnt work.
So I hung some tarps on a 16 foot section . I wish I would have paid and put up vinyl.
I hear you!:D

They're basically good people, just a bit strange, and nosey, and they fight a lot (that's the fun part). We want a better look for the yard as well as the privacy a good fence offers - but I'm getting to the age where I don't care too much for regular maintenance. If I can get a fence that will look good for 10 - 15 years without my having to go out every few years and brush or spray it I'll be happy.

Sound like those of you that have vinyl are happy with it.

I have chain link and wish I had vinyl instead. In my area, many homes have white vinyl. Wood fencing is not seen very often as a new installation. It appears to be easier to install and maintain than wood. I honestly believe it looks better than wood.

Rennie,

My fence is called "neighbor friendly" in that both sides look basically the same...just the little bracket that holds the top and bottom 2 x 4 show more on the "neighbor side".

I do spray oil/stain on about every 3 years....:dunno:

Rennie,

My fence is called "neighbor friendly" in that both sides look basically the same...just the little bracket that holds the top and bottom 2 x 4 show more on the "neighbor side".

I do spray oil/stain on about every 3 years....:dunno:
Greg, that's one nice looking fence. Thanks for taking the trouble to take the pictures.
That is certainly something I could live with - design-and-good-looks-wise, the maintenance seems minimal. What keeps the boards from shrinking and opening up peep holes (gaps).:peek:

BTW - looks like you live in a much nicer neighborhood than I do - my guess is you're not likely to suffer the same neighbor problems I have.:D

Any wording in those association rules that specifically mentions concertina wire?
Seriously - if you didn't have to wait for them to grow and thicken up, I'd opt for solid 6 ft tall shrubbery. 3-4 ft thick hedges do wonders to block noise. Course then you'd have to keep them trimmed too.

Rennie,

Thanks...but we probably just live farther out in the sticks than you. :rofl: The whole fence is about 600 linear feet around the back yard. Some areas with shade most of the time, others with shade/sun.

The slats were put on with just a nail space between them. We get a lot of rain here, and so the slats do swell a tad during that time, but really not that much movement. If you decide on wood, maybe just make sure it's fairly dry so any shrinkage would be minimum. I did wait for 6 months before applying a mixture of stain/oil, so I knew the wood had "settled" in our environment.

Any wording in those association rules that specifically mentions concertina wire?
Seriously - if you didn't have to wait for them to grow and thicken up, I'd opt for solid 6 ft tall shrubbery. 3-4 ft thick hedges do wonders to block noise. Course then you'd have to keep them trimmed too.
Have you seen the picture of my back yard? I hardly have 6" between the patio beside the pool and the fence line, let alone 4'!:eek::rofl::rofl: