Box with swivel lid

jim crockett

I've seen boxes with lids that swivel on a pin. And I can see how to drill holes in both the top and the box body to install the pin. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how you would install the pin so the top wouldn't come off. You can glue the pin into the guide hole in either the box or the lid but not both. What prevents the lid from falling off if the box is held upside down?

Jim Crockett

Most boxes with pins will have the lids fall of when inverted.

However it is possible to have a pivoting lid and not have the lid fall off. You can drill a counterbore through the bottom to the right depth and then drill a smaller hole and install a stainless steel nail cut to proper length. When you attach the lid put a drop of epoxy in the hole when you push it on the nail.

Hide the counterbore with a plug of the same wood. And voila!!

Hi Jim :wave:,
I have been using one for about 10 years now to hold my screw driver tips that fit into the magnetic screw tip holder for my drill. Although not a work of art it serves my purpose. It is a sandwich type box, 1/4" on both sides and 3/4" in the middle. I used a 3/8" dowel to start. I drilled a 1/8" hole through the 3/8" dowel about 1 1/2" from the end. Then took a 1/8" dowel about 5/8" long, glued and inserted it into the hole. With that done I cut off about 1 5/16" of the 3/8" dowel. Then with my pieces sandwiched together I just glued the hole in the 3/4" and 1/4" bottom piece (which has already been affixed to the 3/4" piece). Sanded that underside when dry and have a nice little utility box.
If this idea works for you I will get a pic sometime.
Shaz :)

What about using a threaded insert buried deep in the box edge then cutting the pivot pin from a stanless steel bolt? Use the unthreaded portion fot the epoxied side and run the threaded portion down nto the insert? Then you'd actually have to completely spin the top off before it could come loose.

What about using a threaded insert buried deep in the box edge then cutting the pivot pin from a stanless steel bolt? Use the unthreaded portion fot the epoxied side and run the threaded portion down nto the insert? Then you'd actually have to completely spin the top off before it could come loose.

You could also have the nut turned down to a circle if you didn't want to make a hex head mortise. A machinist friend would likely be more than happy to turn down a bunch of nuts for you if offered an appropriate adult beverage.

You could drill the hole for the threaded part a bit undersize and just use a little lock-tite for that part.