Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyed Sycamore Natural Edge Bowl

Dyed Sycamore Natural Edge Bowl

I figure this is one of those hate it or love it pieces. This was my first outing with an airbrush, and I know I have a lot to learn. It's sycamore, dyed with purple Transtint, then shaded at the bottom with black Rit fabric dye. The shade gradation is not as even as I was hoping for, but unless I decide to sand it all off and start again (which is not out of the realm of possibility), it is what it is. I'd like to improve on this idea and experiment with other gradient color schemes. I think a Les Paul style cherry sunburst HF would be nice...just have to get the skills to pull it off.

This one's about 15" x 12" x 5 3/4" tall. More Antique Oil and lacquer, with the inside left satiny, and the outside wet sanded and buffed to a gloss.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 048 - 02 800.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	21000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 048 - 04 800.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	21002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 048 - 03 800.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	21001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 048 - 05 800.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	21003 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 048 - 01 800.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	20999

Now a little backstory and an important "don't be an idiot like me" moment. I used liquid dye that can be thinned with either water or alcohol. Since I had some DNA handy, I used that, figuring it'd not raise the grain. Thing is, I had no considerations for the type of vapors that spraying DNA might create. As it turns out, you REALLY don't want to breathe the results. When I first started spraying, I could tell it was nasty, so I figured I should wear something. I didn't have a proper VOC respirator, so I was wearing my (decent) dust respirator instead. Of course it didn't help, but like a fool, I soldiered on, figuring it would only take a couple minutes to spray the piece. Bad idea. Before I was done, I was gasping for air, and spent the next 30 minutes or so coughing my lungs up. I was very close to waking up LOML to take me to the Emergency Room. (Of course this was at about 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning.) The next day, I bought a proper respirator and finished spraying the purple. Then I decided to add some black, and on Sunday afternoon of a holiday weekend, all I could find was water-based Rit dye, so I still ended up raising the grain after all.

Comments, critiques, and opinions (especially if you hate it) are all welcome.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I really like the shape, color.... everything. I'd like to get that thin on my stuff, but I keep "blowing" it.

Vaughn

Thats pretty cool. I have made a couple of these and they didn't turn out as well as yours. How about coloring the rim bright red?

Terry

I like it a lot! I think adding the black dye shading made it look great. If it was just purple...well I know you like the color...let's say I don't care for it. Great form on the bowl as well. Well Done.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Great looking piece Vaughn. I like the the dye and shape.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Here in central Texas, High school football is a big thing. Ever heard of Early Tx. Well they are a big rival of ours, and Purple Oh how I hate purple.!!!!! But I do love the bowl and the concept, Just not the rival color. Great work

Wow I like that a lot. Nice work! Purple, yes, but not too purple if you know what I mean. Looks nice!

I like the contrast Buddy!
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

Thanks for the comments, guys. Based on responses I've gotten elsewhere, the purple color doesn't seem to be real popular among male woodworkers.

Well, like I said in the first post, it's a love it or hate it piece. I just e-mailed pics to a former co-worker to get her opinion, and she ended up buying it, about 24 hours after I got done buffing it. Even with the Friends and Family Discount, that'll cover half the entry fee on this weekend's show.

She likes it because the color, even though it occurs in nature, looked so unnatural on an otherwise natural-looking piece. The contrast was what caught her. Also, she loves the color purple. That always helps.

I suspect I'll be trying more of these, in various colors and shades.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My favorite color is Blue, but the LOML is a purple nut, so I really Like that bowl, excellent form!
    -Ned