I figure this is one of those hate it or love it pieces. This was my first outing with an airbrush, and I know I have a lot to learn. It's sycamore, dyed with purple Transtint, then shaded at the bottom with black Rit fabric dye. The shade gradation is not as even as I was hoping for, but unless I decide to sand it all off and start again (which is not out of the realm of possibility), it is what it is. I'd like to improve on this idea and experiment with other gradient color schemes. I think a Les Paul style cherry sunburst HF would be nice...just have to get the skills to pull it off.
This one's about 15" x 12" x 5 3/4" tall. More Antique Oil and lacquer, with the inside left satiny, and the outside wet sanded and buffed to a gloss.
Now a little backstory and an important "don't be an idiot like me" moment. I used liquid dye that can be thinned with either water or alcohol. Since I had some DNA handy, I used that, figuring it'd not raise the grain. Thing is, I had no considerations for the type of vapors that spraying DNA might create. As it turns out, you REALLY don't want to breathe the results. When I first started spraying, I could tell it was nasty, so I figured I should wear something. I didn't have a proper VOC respirator, so I was wearing my (decent) dust respirator instead. Of course it didn't help, but like a fool, I soldiered on, figuring it would only take a couple minutes to spray the piece. Bad idea. Before I was done, I was gasping for air, and spent the next 30 minutes or so coughing my lungs up. I was very close to waking up LOML to take me to the Emergency Room. (Of course this was at about 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning.) The next day, I bought a proper respirator and finished spraying the purple. Then I decided to add some black, and on Sunday afternoon of a holiday weekend, all I could find was water-based Rit dye, so I still ended up raising the grain after all.
Comments, critiques, and opinions (especially if you hate it) are all welcome.