Dyed Sycamore Natural Edge Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I figure this is one of those hate it or love it pieces. This was my first outing with an airbrush, and I know I have a lot to learn. It's sycamore, dyed with purple Transtint, then shaded at the bottom with black Rit fabric dye. The shade gradation is not as even as I was hoping for, but unless I decide to sand it all off and start again (which is not out of the realm of possibility), it is what it is. I'd like to improve on this idea and experiment with other gradient color schemes. I think a Les Paul style cherry sunburst HF would be nice...just have to get the skills to pull it off.

This one's about 15" x 12" x 5 3/4" tall. More Antique Oil and lacquer, with the inside left satiny, and the outside wet sanded and buffed to a gloss.

Bowl 048 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 048 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 048 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 048 - 05 800.jpg Bowl 048 - 01 800.jpg

Now a little backstory and an important "don't be an idiot like me" moment. :eek: I used liquid dye that can be thinned with either water or alcohol. Since I had some DNA handy, I used that, figuring it'd not raise the grain. Thing is, I had no considerations for the type of vapors that spraying DNA might create. As it turns out, you REALLY don't want to breathe the results. When I first started spraying, I could tell it was nasty, so I figured I should wear something. I didn't have a proper VOC respirator, so I was wearing my (decent) dust respirator instead. Of course it didn't help, but like a fool, I soldiered on, figuring it would only take a couple minutes to spray the piece. Bad idea. Before I was done, I was gasping for air, and spent the next 30 minutes or so coughing my lungs up. I was very close to waking up LOML to take me to the Emergency Room. (Of course this was at about 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning.) The next day, I bought a proper respirator and finished spraying the purple. Then I decided to add some black, and on Sunday afternoon of a holiday weekend, all I could find was water-based Rit dye, so I still ended up raising the grain after all. :doh:

Comments, critiques, and opinions (especially if you hate it) are all welcome.

I like it a lot! I think adding the black dye shading made it look great. If it was just purple...well I know you like the color...let's say I don't care for it. :wave: Great form on the bowl as well. Well Done. :thumb:

Here in central Texas, High school football is a big thing. Ever heard of Early Tx. Well they are a big rival of ours, and Purple Oh how I hate purple.:doh::doh::eek:!!!!! But I do love the bowl and the concept, Just not the rival color.:dunno: Great work:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the comments, guys. Based on responses I've gotten elsewhere, the purple color doesn't seem to be real popular among male woodworkers.

Well, like I said in the first post, it's a love it or hate it piece. I just e-mailed pics to a former co-worker to get her opinion, and she ended up buying it, about 24 hours after I got done buffing it. ;) Even with the Friends and Family Discount, that'll cover half the entry fee on this weekend's show.

She likes it because the color, even though it occurs in nature, looked so unnatural on an otherwise natural-looking piece. The contrast was what caught her. Also, she loves the color purple. That always helps. :D

I suspect I'll be trying more of these, in various colors and shades. :)

I like purple too! My wallet (that I made) has purple trim inside.

I really like the piece, even if my very first thought was, "Wow, Vaughn made a giant Pringle chip."

Now you and Stu have me wanting to get my airbrush up near the lathe and start playing! Between the two of you, Toni with his beautiful plane and helping Ned with his shop I'm not going to get to the projects I really need to do! :eek: :doh: :rofl:

well vaughn ,,,

you should register your color:) everyone knew it was yours... looks great in your turning though.. now for the dna trouble?? your sayin that sprayin dna or lets say some shellac with dna as the base will be nasty to do? cuz i got some to spray here real soon???? got a organic respirator but maybe i need a better one,, do have ventalation which you may not have had???

Larry, I think the organic respirator will do fine, especially since you've got ventilation. I was doing it in a closed shop (another stupid move). Someone else told me that DNA vapors didn't bother them much, but lacquer did. I'm just the opposite. :dunno: I'd say just be careful, and if it starts bothering you, quit while you're still ahead.

Toni, I used the same lighting and backdrop I use for all my other product pics:

Photo Tent - 01 800.jpg

:dunno: I've been looking at this for a few days now and trying to decide what I think. You picked a perfect wood for coloring. Sycamore is also called Plane I guess because it usually is pretty plain. So you certainly took the plain out of it. But Purple?? Maybe a nice dark blue or forest green, but Purple?? At least it isn't red!

Seriously, my wife loves this bowl. And you did a beautiful job on it.

But, Purple???

Vaughn - really like the size and form of your bowl - not real sure about the color purple... but that's just me. As far as the Rit dye - you can dissolve it with DNA and it won't raise the grain as much.

Looking forward to seeing some additional colors!