Bedroom Suite SU to Completed Project

Keith Krueger

This is my first project designed in SU and then completed in my shop.

The design was based on sketches from my granddaugher and drawn in SU with some help from Dave on the curves and other features. The main parts have loose mortise/tenon joints which I modeled. I used the cutlist for a bill of material in the shop.

The finish is Waco nat oil with a poly top coat.

Attachments

• JillsBed (478 x 296).jpg
    JillsBed (478 x 296).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 38
  • JillsDresser (600 x 371).jpg
    JillsDresser (600 x 371).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
  • JillsNightStand (478 x 307).jpg
    JillsNightStand (478 x 307).jpg
    16 KB · Views: 24
  • PhotoJillsBed.jpg
    PhotoJillsBed.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 64
  • PhotoJillsJewleryDwr.jpg
    PhotoJillsJewleryDwr.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 71
  • PhotoJillsNightStand.jpg
    PhotoJillsNightStand.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 57
  • PictureJillsDresser.jpg
    PictureJillsDresser.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 51
The front that folds down to expose the small drawers has no visible handle or latch. The latch is placed in a recess under the top and to operate you push up on the latch and 2 spring loaded plungers push the front open at the top far enough that you can complete the opening by grabbing the ends. It was fun to figure out how to make it work. I started with 2 magnetic push to release latches but with the front being so narrow it didn't work. I kept the 2 latches but positioned them so they can't latch but are always pushing on the front. I delevnred them from Ohio to Detroit last week end and they arrived without a scratch. Jill was very pleased. She had seen them in progress but not with any finish.

Keith

Gorgeous work, Keith. :clap: I really like the curved legs. It's cool seeing a design go from the computer to reality, and you sure made it happen on this one.

looks like you got it under control for sure did sketchup tell you how many sheets of sand paper tooo:) what did you use for the headboard attachment to the strechers?

Lovely, but next time post BIGGER PHOTOS please. :bow:
I also like the tiny drawers along the top. Very unique, nice detail.

(no cracks about needing glasses thankyouverymuch)

I used bed bolts (1 per joint) + a dowel at top and bottom. It seems very sturdy. The design was a platform bed with slats replacing the box spring. I used (21) 1 3/4 x 3/4 popular slats set in dados in the support on each side. the middle support rail is 3" wide oak 7/8 thick without a center leg. This gives the mattress good support but still has some flex.

PS Sorry about the picture size. First time posting pictures and tried to keep file size to a min. guess I over did it.
Keith

Feel free to use and ideas you see. I can offer the su file but I made somestructrial changes as I built it small diff but I wouldn't call it 100% accurate. Send me a message if you want to start there.

Keith