Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new kitchen

Thinking about a new kitchen

Our kitchen is poorly laid out, poorly built, and original to the house - built in 1974. I've looked at a lot of cabinets over the past 10 years that we've been here and there are some nice ones out there - but expensive. I've also given much thought to building my own. I watched the recent kitchen series on NYW with a high level of interest.

Here's the point. We don't live in a high end area. My house is currently valued around $130K. So, putting in a $30K kitchen (it's only 10 x 10) just does not make any sense to me. I'm thinking that something cheaper, a lot cheaper, so long as it's strong and functional, is the best way to go.

I'm thinking (please don't shoot me) of going with an RTA cabinet similar to those offered by this company http://www.rtacabi.net They seem relatively sturdy and offer all of the various sizes and styles I would need. I could change out the cheaper glides easily enough.

I know many of you make your living doing cabinets, so I'm seeking some guidance. Have you had dealings with this company? Can you recommend another? Would you warn me to do something different?

I'm open to any and all suggestions, so don't be shy. I'll try to remember to post some pictures this evening.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 05-30-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, my parents redid their kitchen about 4yrs ago. They ordered the cabs (don't know who from) and installed them along with new floor, ceiling and fixtures themselves. It was a burden during the process, but they saved lots of $$ doing the install themselves and lots of time purchasing the cabs. They live in a small town and wouldn't get the return on putting in a high end kitchen when they sell.

On the other hand, my FIL had a high end kitchen put into his home...took 3.5 months and tens of thousands of dollars. It looks great, and his house might sell for more $$ because of it....but not the full amount of the rehab!

BTW...shouldn't you finish the fence first?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

How long do you plan on living in the house Rennie?

I'm told that the two rooms in a house that have the biggest return on the investment is the kitchen and the bathrooms.

When you consider making an investement in a remodel, you have to consider that ....if you are plan on being there for a while you'll get the enjoyment of using the remodel. And a house that has been updated often sells more quickly even in a stagnant market. Tyler Howell, a member here, recently sold his house in Twin Cities, Mn because he had done some very well thought improvements to the house.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    BTW...shouldn't you finish the fence first?
    Well, I didn't say I was going to start tomorrow!

To be honest, there are a few 'must be done' projects around our house. The fence, the kitchen, and some home office furniture(that I am building myself - it will be my winter project) I'm also finishing up some cabinets I'm building in the master bedroom - which is one of the reasons I don't have time to do kitchen cabs!

It might come down to fence or kitchen. I could prop up the fence and get another couple of years out of it. The kitchen is driving my wife crazy and that has a big impact on me.

Perhaps I'll just toss a coin.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    How long do you plan on living in the house Rennie?
    I intend to die here - so anywhere from 1 day to 30 years or so.

I'm told that the two rooms in a house that have the biggest return on the investment is the kitchen and the bathrooms.
    Yes - I know this to be a fact. I'm not looking to cheap-out on the cabinets - just don't see the need for top of the line stuff. I will be doing the bathrooms myself - another project on a very long list
    For resale, the cabinets need to be attractive, offer a good use of space, and fit well to the style of the house. most of the homes in my area, even those selling for twice as much, have the standard raised oak panel contractor grade cabinets. So, if mine were a little better than that I'd be in OK shape IF I needed to sell. I think...

www.wrworkshop.com

Custom Service Hardware has a line of RTA cabinets with no particle board. Their sample layouts are in the $1200-$1800 range and they seem to have pretty nice features like dovetailed drawers and some with undermount slides. They are also pre-finished. Of course you have to add counters, floors, new fixtures, maybe new appliances, lighting, trim, wall repair, .....

I've also seen posts by people who've bought Ikea cabinets and made their own drawer and drawer fronts. They are particle board but people seem happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Custom Service Hardware has a line of RTA cabinets with no particle board. Their sample layouts are in the $1200-$1800 range and they seem to have pretty nice features like dovetailed drawers and some with undermount slides. They are also pre-finished. Of course you have to add counters, floors, new fixtures, maybe new appliances, lighting, trim, wall repair, ......
    Matt,

The link in my initial post is for the CSH line of cabinets. I was impressed with the construction/price ratio myself. They are exactly what I was referring to. Have you seen them up close and personal? What's your opinion?

I can do floors and fixtures. Countertops are still an unknown. Stone is "in", but pricey. Laminates have come a long way and are much more attractive than they used to be. decisions, decisions....
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 05-30-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

www.wrworkshop.com

Oh, I didn't click on your link--didn't realize it was their site because the URL is different. No, I haven't seen them other than in the pictures. I just got a new catalog from them and was perusing it in the reading room this morning.

We are replacing our counters soon. Stone, real or fake, for our kitchen would be in the $5K range. So we are going with laminate, which I'm doing myself, with a tile backsplash.

you should compromise and spend a little more on the kitchen if you can swing it.
    If a new kitchen is 20 grand with all the bells and whistles, and a knockdown put together kitchen is 3 grand, look to maybe up the quality and put in better appliances.
    A new kitchen or updated kitchen is usually the number one selling point on a home, and besides, youre bride would probably be so much happier, so thats enough reason in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    you should compromise and spend a little more on the kitchen if you can swing it.
    If a new kitchen is 20 grand with all the bells and whistles, and a knockdown put together kitchen is 3 grand, look to maybe up the quality and put in better appliances.
    A new kitchen or updated kitchen is usually the number one selling point on a home, and besides, youre bride would probably be so much happier, so thats enough reason in itself.
    Appliances are going to be upgraded - at least the stove, DW, sink, and MW. I'm not looking for "cheap" cabinets - like the stuff from the borg, but I can't afford to go to Thomasville or KitchenMaid right now either - understanding that those are not even high end.

The prospect of doing the cabinets in our 10 x 10 "U" shaped kitchen for under $2,500 is inviting and worth looking into.

www.wrworkshop.com