Thread: Embarrassing request

Born in Rockville Maryland and relocated to Texas in 1997. Mt Enterprise Pol 525 a small but nice pl

Embarrassing request

I am on Social Security and due to gas and everything else going up in cost I am unable to save money towards a starter table saw. Might a member have a decent portable TS left over from up grading to a larger TS that they would be willing to donate to me ? I would do my best to pay the shipping. I live in East Texas, 75681 zip code.

I can get all the wood I want from a local mill and from our local dump. But I need a TS to get myself started. I will not be building anything for resale. I will be making small projects for family and friends and to have a way to help me pass time.

I am embarressed to have to make this request but I will have no other way to get a TS if I don't.
    Thank you

Feel free to email me at...

DSM, IA
    John, don't feel bad for your request. Not at all. That is what this site is all about. Helping other members. I don't have anything to donate, but I hope someone here does. I've found some cheap and free stuff on Craigslist. I see that there is an east texas craigslist. Here's to you getting what you need.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

ABQ NM
    No need to be embarrassed, John. Heck, you're a couple years too late, or I'd have a benchtop tablesaw I could donate.

Aside from Craigslist, another source might be one of the Freecycle groups. Go to and poke around a bit.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

I've made a couple trips to the local steel salvage yard to find a odd type of tube and noticed a couple of table saws that were still useable while I was looking around....perhaps you could check your local steel scrap yard.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    As one who lives on SS, I can empathize. I recently acquired a jointer at a rummage sale. Keep looking. My personal rule is: nothing in unless something goes out. I sell some items made in my shop and am reducing the amount of unused 'stuff' I have acquired over the decades. Keep looking and put the word out locally. Good luck.
    Now, I'm soon going to make a post that (sorta) blows all that.

Indianapolis area
    I sincerely hope that something turns up for you soon. Hey, no one will disagree with "free is the best price".

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    There are items that pop up here now and then looking for a home so, its not a bad question. I have a kind of a silly method for saving for such things (took me a year and a half to get my jointer). When I am planning to do something completely normal that would in some way or another cost me, and I don't do it; I set that money aside.

Example, I am going to go visit friends over the weekend. Plans change and I don't go; that's $12 in gas. I set it aside. LOML and I plan to go out to dinner but, end up staying home; that's like $40 or so at least. I set it aside, etc., etc. . . . . Told you it was silly; but it works.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

John, There is a current thread over on Woodnet about a couple of guys getting ready to upgrade and getting rid of their benchtop T-saws. Might be worth checking out.