Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your biggest blooper so far(woodworking)

What is your biggest blooper so far(woodworking)

Im not talking mistakes, or mishaps, Im guessing even the pros have things break on them or fall off a table.

Im speaking of that one time that you realized you did something and you didnt want to admit it to anyone. Fess up, only a few will laugh at you.

My biggest blooper(embarrassing moment)-

I was sick and tired of using safety glasses, the sweat would always fog them up on me quickly.
    So I bought a full face mask, like a welders type mask, only made of hard plastic.
    After a week or so, my son asked me if I enjoyed the mask any better.
    I told him its a pleasure, it folds up, its not around my neck, it rests on the head, and all in all I was very pleased.
    Only thing is that Its not as clear as the saftey goggles, but I manage.

I have 5 years of college education, and consider myself a man of common sense.
    My kid walks over and blurts out, dad! ofcourse its not clear, you have to remove the film off of the face protector!

I did take one side off, and could have sworn the other side didnt have anything covering it.
    wow, as clear as glass, what a difference, and my wife and kid laughed at me for 10 minutes. I did feel a little foolish.

Allen this didn't take me to long to decide on.....

>>Click Here<<
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

A blooper you say?.....huh, never made one.

I'm not admitting to anything, theres guys on this forum who are wolves with info like that.

A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Well... I has nothing to do with woodworking but there it goes. And it was not emmabarrasing for me but for my sister due to my tendency to let my mind wander away when something doesn't interest me and completely forget where I am.

My sisters and me were having dinner with someone I don't remember and at some moment this person addressed to me with a comment or question which I didn't even hear, so lost in my own cloud that I was, after repiting the question and getting any answer from me, my sister kicked me on my leg under the table to call my attention.

And she did of course, but my comment was an angry burst saying" why on earth are you kicking me now??
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    A blooper you say?.....huh, never made one.

I'm not admitting to anything, theres guys on this forum who are wolves with info like that.

Maybe Larry can tell us one for Steve and Steve one for Larry...

I stapled myself in the hand with a 9/16" staple helping Ned with his shop - was the first time we met. Was using an Arrow stapler, ran out of ammo, and instead of reloading I let them hand me one of those upside down Craftsman "Safety Stapleguns". Anyhow, we were stapling insulation into floor joist cavities, had to hold the staplegun to get the staple to go where we wanted it. Got a couple done right, moved over to a different position and BLAM!

There's more to this stapler story, but it's Ned's to tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    well mark i could tell ya of few but i am TRUE FRIEND and wont be a tatel tale... but to add to the stories already started i was roofing a house and my partner was tellin me of his past evenings evnts with his girl friend and i was all EARS(no brains) and in the story he ended it sayin that angel died well angel was his girl friends name.. so instead of lookin where the nailer was aimed i nailed my self and the shingle to the roof... we took a pry bar and got me un hooked and i took and pulled the nail back out of my thumb and said a couple bad words to him as he laughed.. angel was also his girl frinds pet fish but the roof dint leak
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

[quote=larry merlau;104934]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post

but to add to the stories already started i was roofing a house and my partner was tellin me of his past evenings evnts with his girl friend and i was all EARS(no brains) and in the story he ended it sayin that angel died well angel was his girl friends name.. so instead of lookin where the nailer was aimed i nailed my self and the shingle to the roof... we took a pry bar and got me un hooked and i took and pulled the nail back out of my thumb and said a couple bad words to him as he laughed.. angel was also his girl frinds pet fish but the roof dint leak
    Just a thought here Larry, maybe it's a good thing you don't live closer to Ned.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

[QUOTE=Rennie Heuer;104936]
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Just a thought here Larry, maybe it's a good thing you don't live closer to Ned.
    hey if i were closer i would be stuck up there cuz none of his help would get me un hooked to high up

One that comes to mind (and for which I have pictures)...

I was making this arbor for LOML and I to get married under in the back yard a few years ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arbor Sketch2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	21042

I decided to cut all the "roof" slats at the same time on my bandsaw, so I wrapped them in stretch wrap and cut one end:

Name:	DAMHIKT1 - 500.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	21043

It worked very well, and I was proud of my cleverness. Then I cut the other end of the boards with the same pattern:

Name:	DAMHIKT2 - 500.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	21044

Worked great, except I put the curve on the wrong side of the board.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    One that comes to mind (and for which I have pictures)...

I was making this arbor for LOML and I to get married under in the back yard a few years ago:

Name:	Arbor Sketch2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	21042

I decided to cut all the "roof" slats at the same time on my bandsaw, so I wrapped them in stretch wrap and cut one end:

Name:	DAMHIKT1 - 500.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	21043

It worked very well, and I was proud of my cleverness. Then I cut the other end of the boards with the same pattern:

Name:	DAMHIKT2 - 500.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	21044

Worked great, except I put the curve on the wrong side of the board.
    hey vaughn as tod says its just wood they make more of it every day