What is your biggest blooper so far(woodworking)

allen levine

Im not talking mistakes, or mishaps, Im guessing even the pros have things break on them or fall off a table.

Im speaking of that one time that you realized you did something and you didnt want to admit it to anyone. Fess up, only a few will laugh at you.

My biggest blooper(embarrassing moment)-

I was sick and tired of using safety glasses, the sweat would always fog them up on me quickly.
So I bought a full face mask, like a welders type mask, only made of hard plastic.
After a week or so, my son asked me if I enjoyed the mask any better.
I told him its a pleasure, it folds up, its not around my neck, it rests on the head, and all in all I was very pleased.
Only thing is that Its not as clear as the saftey goggles, but I manage.

I have 5 years of college education, and consider myself a man of common sense.
My kid walks over and blurts out, dad! ofcourse its not clear, you have to remove the film off of the face protector!

I did take one side off, and could have sworn the other side didnt have anything covering it.
wow, as clear as glass, what a difference, and my wife and kid laughed at me for 10 minutes. I did feel a little foolish.

A blooper you say?:huh:.....huh, never made one.:dunno:

I'm not admitting to anything, theres guys on this forum who are wolves with info like that.

:rofl:

Well... I has nothing to do with woodworking but there it goes. And it was not emmabarrasing for me but for my sister due to my tendency to let my mind wander away when something doesn't interest me and completely forget where I am.

My sisters and me were having dinner with someone I don't remember and at some moment this person addressed to me with a comment or question which I didn't even hear, so lost in my own cloud that I was, after repiting the question and getting any answer from me, my sister kicked me on my leg under the table to call my attention.

And she did of course, but my comment was an angry burst saying" why on earth are you kicking me now??

A blooper you say?:huh:.....huh, never made one.:dunno:

I'm not admitting to anything, theres guys on this forum who are wolves with info like that.

:rofl:

Maybe Larry can tell us one for Steve and Steve one for Larry... :wave: :D :rofl:

I stapled myself in the hand with a 9/16" staple helping Ned with his shop - was the first time we met. Was using an Arrow stapler, ran out of ammo, and instead of reloading I let them hand me one of those upside down Craftsman "Safety Stapleguns". Anyhow, we were stapling insulation into floor joist cavities, had to hold the staplegun to get the staple to go where we wanted it. Got a couple done right, moved over to a different position and BLAM!

There's more to this stapler story, but it's Ned's to tell... :wave:

Maybe Larry can tell us one for Steve and Steve one for Larry... :wave: :D :rofl:

well mark i could tell ya of few but i am TRUE FRIEND and wont be a tatel tale... but to add to the stories already started i was roofing a house and my partner was tellin me of his past evenings evnts with his girl friend and i was all EARS(no brains) and in the story he ended it sayin that angel died:eek: well angel was his girl friends name.. so instead of lookin where the nailer was aimed i nailed my self and the shingle to the roof... we took a pry bar and got me un hooked and i took and pulled the nail back out of my thumb and said a couple bad words to him as he laughed.. angel was also his girl frinds pet fish:eek::rofl: but the roof dint leak:)

but to add to the stories already started i was roofing a house and my partner was tellin me of his past evenings evnts with his girl friend and i was all EARS(no brains) and in the story he ended it sayin that angel died:eek: well angel was his girl friends name.. so instead of lookin where the nailer was aimed i nailed my self and the shingle to the roof... we took a pry bar and got me un hooked and i took and pulled the nail back out of my thumb and said a couple bad words to him as he laughed.. angel was also his girl frinds pet fish:eek::rofl: but the roof dint leak:)
Just a thought here Larry, maybe it's a good thing you don't live closer to Ned.:D

One that comes to mind (and for which I have pictures)...

I was making this arbor for LOML and I to get married under in the back yard a few years ago:

Arbor Sketch2.jpg

I decided to cut all the "roof" slats at the same time on my bandsaw, so I wrapped them in stretch wrap and cut one end:

DAMHIKT1 - 500.jpg

It worked very well, and I was proud of my cleverness. Then I cut the other end of the boards with the same pattern:

DAMHIKT2 - 500.jpg

Worked great, except I put the curve on the wrong side of the board. :bang:

I was making this arbor for LOML and I to get married under in the back yard a few years ago:

View attachment 21042

I decided to cut all the "roof" slats at the same time on my bandsaw, so I wrapped them in stretch wrap and cut one end:

View attachment 21043

It worked very well, and I was proud of my cleverness. Then I cut the other end of the boards with the same pattern:

View attachment 21044

hey vaughn as tod says its just wood they make more of it every day:)

Well..... :eek:
I was attaching the uprights for the lumber rack to the wall with lag bolts.
I pre-drilled the hoes through the standard, through the 2X4, through the half inch plywood and into the wall stud.

Most of this install was done on a ladder but this time I was flat footed on the deck. With half an inch yet to go, the lag bolt I was twisting decided it didn't want to go in any further. Not being a quitter, my 18v Ridgid lag bolt twister figured that it's job was to twist and as long as the trigger was pulled that's what it was going to do.
After trying to twist my hand off at the wrist, hollering and even inventing new and exciting great obscenities, I decided I wasn't a quitter either. :doh: I grabbed that sucker with both hands, held on tight and.... twisted my hand around backwards a second time!

It was close to a week before I was able to get back to the lumber rack. And, the swelling wasn't so bad... Really.... :eek:

DT

Last edited:

View attachment 21042

View attachment 21043

View attachment 21044

Look at it like software.. It not a mistake its a feature....!
Garry

Nobody's perfect, including me! One of my bloopers was one time I bought two sheets of mahogany plywood 3/4 thick good on one side to make a couple of secretaries. I carefully layed out the design for the sides and shelves in it and drop front desk part. Then very carefully cut out the two sheets. When I stood them up to match the sides, I found out I had cut four left sides, if I put one on the right side the good side was not facing the right direction. They laughed at me for a couple of days, until I came home with two more sheets and cut out the right sides and made four secretaries.

http://gschacht.bootlogic.com

I dont relate hurting myself to a blooper.
Funny when all the pain has ended, one realizes, wow, how could I have been so careless.
I took a few pallets from soneone. He said he uses them for firewood, they were all oak.
I picked a few out with nice long pieces with few nails.
I got home, all excited, Im getting some free lumber.
I didnt realize they use king kong to hammer those things together.
After using a crowbar and a hand held sledge hammer, I made a few boards loose.
I had it up on the work bench, holding it down with left hand, my fingers resting between the slats, leaning against the center post, and I finally banged the right support piece free, but the shot from the sledge hammer, the 3 inch thick piece, shot over and caught my fingers in between itself and the center post. Man that hurt. I had enough with them after that.I never thought as that as a blooper, more like an careless error.

Not that I don't have any but one that LOML did still makes me laugh. My father in law was dying of cancer and wanted to die at home. They only let him come home because my wife could give morphine shots. To give the shot her sister who is very afraid of needles had to squeeze his leg. My wife took careful aim and STAB! stuck the needle through her sisters hand :eek::eek::eek: