Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet lumber

Internet lumber

Im not sure if anyone here needs this bit of info, but I found it interesting after crunching the numbers, if my numbers are correct ofcourse.

Ive priced hardwoods around here. Thats Long Island, NY.
    Im going to use Red Oak as my example because thats what I just ordered.

Home Depot-difficult to find any red oak thicker than 3/4 inch, Lowes doesnt carry anything thicker. But, they both have similar prices.
    HD approx 2 bf, cost me 20 dollars for 6/4 x 3.5 inches wide(2x4)48 inches
    Its all S4S, which I need since I dont own a planer and straight edging rough stuff, well, not too good at lumber preparation at this point.
    Lumber yard-selection in 6/4 is very poor,at least for long and wide pieces, which I found a bit troubling. and its all rough, so I have to pay for planing, straight edges, and that puts it small amount over home depot prices, but not much more.
    Seems once you jump over 4/4 lumber, the price shoots way up.(especially if you want wide boards, like a 10 inch width)
    Internet company-approx 8.50 a board foot, S4S, 6/4 by 9.5 inch width.
    Shipping to me, I chose a company closer to the north east, ran 28 bucks.
    This is an expensive proposition, but until I figure out how to get thick wide hardwood cheaper, Im stuck.

After I crunched all the numbers, I bought the wood from the internet company.
    It came out to approx 5 dollars more, with shipping, since locally, I have to pay sales tax which is over 8.5 %.
    So for the 10 board feet I bought, it worked out 5 dollars more, but, I didnt have to drive anywhere, and since gasoline is at over 4 dollars a gallon, I figured I might be ahead a few pennies.
    The lumber came right to my doorstep, it was packaged carefully, and it was a beautiful piece of lumber.
    I think Id pay 5 dollars for any huge piece I buy that saves me tons of time, gasoline money, and is put on my doorstep for me.
    Just sharing this experience.
    Please dont tell me how inexpensive red oak is near you, Im already fighting myself over these prices.

As you progress in the art, especially if you can get together with other local woodworkers, you'll find out where to go to find guys with barns full of wood at ridiculously cheap prices compared to the borgs. This will be rough cut lumber, so it will require a jointer and planer. Maybe it would be wise to save up half of your woodworking budget towards a jointer and planer - keep an eye out for used equipment. Then the other half keep buying surfaced wood to make stuff with.

Where abouts in LI are you? I bought my radial arm saw (RAS) from a guy in the south middle part of LI (Mastic Beach I think). He deals in previously enjoyed machinery either to make his living or as a heavy supplement to his day job.

I can relate somewhat, Allen. I live on the edge of a big city, but the hardwood suppliers are few and far between. And the good/big ones aren't open on the weekends, so I'm stuck buying lumber from either Rockler or another nearby hardwood store, and paying full retail for it. At least turning wood can still be found for free (or nearly so). I still buy a fair amount of my turning blanks online, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    As you progress in the art, especially if you can get together with other local woodworkers, you'll find out where to go to find guys with barns full of wood at ridiculously cheap prices compared to the borgs. This will be rough cut lumber, so it will require a jointer and planer. Maybe it would be wise to save up half of your woodworking budget towards a jointer and planer - keep an eye out for used equipment. Then the other half keep buying surfaced wood to make stuff with.

Where abouts in LI are you? I bought my radial arm saw (RAS) from a guy in the south middle part of LI (Mastic Beach I think). He deals in previously enjoyed machinery either to make his living or as a heavy supplement to his day job.
    Im in western nassau county, almost on the Queens border.
    My main issue is space. I share the work area with a car, and 30 years worth of other things, bikes, coolers, outdoor things. I put up a shed when I started this, and Ive since built a shed for just the snowblower and power washer cause the machines took up way valuable floor space.
    Right now Im just not sure if I can fit much more equipment along with space for wood.In just over a year, Ive filled alot of cabinets with all kinds of related tools and accessories. I built a wall of cabinets since I promised my son space to store alot of his equipment,(computer biz), and its getting tight.(and my immediate needs, I really need to get me a decent mitre saw, one of thenew versions thats also crosscuts up to 15 inches. And my tablesaw has seen better days. both inexpensive, Id like to upgrade these first, since I use them so much)
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-31-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I can relate somewhat, Allen. I live on the edge of a big city, but the hardwood suppliers are few and far between. And the good/big ones aren't open on the weekends, so I'm stuck buying lumber from either Rockler or another nearby hardwood store, and paying full retail for it...
    Vaughn,
    Have you tried Austin Hardwoods - Just across from the train station in Santa Ana?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've been rather pleased with the ordering hardwood over the internet.

I've bought both from Internet Lumber and Steve Wall. They both have UPS bundles, which are about 20bf that can ship by UPS. Not sure the UPS guy likes it that much though

For smaller projects it seems to work out pretty well, and from my recollection when I ran the numbers, it was a definite saving over the borg and other hardwood dealers out here on the west coast, even with shipping.

It'd be an even better deal if I just bought a couple of hundred board feet and had it shipped out motor freight...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

things just got alot worse for New Yorkers.
    They passed a law now that all internet sales have to charge NY state sales tax, meaning amazon, etc.........not good, not good at all.

Wow, and I thought California was bad....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

my son explained it to me. He said any company that has a presence in the NY area. Amazon, ofcourse, some of the big computer and electronic internet companies, but most likely the small lumber companies I order from wont have to charge tax since they have no real presence here.

I guess Ill have to see.

The more I read threads like this, the more I'm happy I live where I do. Lots of free wood/lumber. No tax on internet sales. No 'codes' telling me I can't, or must, do this or that.
    BTW, I will not buy Home Depot lumber anymore. (even if my free, or cheap, sources dry up) HD uses automated handling equipment that often puts quarter sized indents on the surface of the wood. This requires planing to remove. Then you have wood nearly a 1/4" thinner than you purchased plus the time and effort required to clean it up. Rotsa Ruck complaining. You will be lucky to get an "I'm sorry."