I had one of those days, today......

Stuart Ablett

Boy did I have one of those days today.... :doh:

MAN, what a day, it is now after 9 PM, Tokyo Time, and if I get through the rest of the night, I'll be one happy guy.....

Seriously, I was sure at some point today, I'd be making a trip to the emergency room, but thankfully, that has not happened :D

It started out in the morning, just little things, I forgot to charge the battery on my new cell phone, so my alarm did not go off (I use the cell phone's alarm function), so I got up a bit late, I missed the garbage truck :( Whoops, my bad.....

I went to make some toast, I turned on the toaster, put the bread in there, and about 5 minutes later, I still have bread, not toast.... :huh: Yep, the toaster packed it in.....

Went to make coffee........ yep, out of coffee (I had bought some, but I forgot it at the L shop).

I was planning on going to the shrine to cut up the last piece of wood, but it was raining, hard, so could not do that.......

I headed down to the Dungeon to unload the wood from the truck, a few of the pieces are fairly large, and as this wood is really fresh, it is really heavy, so I wanted to use my electric hoist, get my cargo net ready, load it, then, lower the cable to hook up the load, and the hoist does NOT go up.... :huh: :dunno: Took the switch apart, and dropped two small pieces onto the floor...... the floor covered with sawdust and bark chunks..... :eek: Spent 15 minutes rooting around for the two small pieces, finally I found them :thumb: The contacts in the switch were a bit corroded, cleaned them up, and the hoist was working again, :clap:

Next, I get on to the bandsaw, to saw these things round, I needed to adjust the top blade holder thing a bit, and the cheesy bolt I was using snapped off....:( oh heck....

I tired to drill it out and use an easy out.......... nope, not working...... OK, I drill it out, from a 6mm to an 8mm bolt size and then tap the hole, but now the meat to hold the bolt in place, the threaded area is too thin....... Simple fix, I'll just weld a nut onto the part, to provide more threads :thumb:

Flip on the welder, turn on the gas bottle and get ready to weld.....Welder don't work :huh: :dunno: It comes on, and runs, but when I pull the trigger, no wire comes out, the motor to run the wire out does not work...... I tear apart the gun of the MIG welder, and check the trigger, it is fine...... I check the wires for the switch and I do not have continuity.... :huh:

I finally tear everything apart I can, and one of the connections in the welder, which is shrink wrapped is loose, fix that, OK, lets get back to the welding of the nut on the bandsaw........ not so fast..... yep, out of CO2 :doh:

Go to the L shop and get another tank of CO2...........

Weld up the nut, OK, that is fixed! :thumb:

Cut a couple of blanks...... I notice how dull the blade has become, so I change blades..... and find out the tension adjuster on the top wheel of the bandsaw is stripped :doh: I then make up a new tensioner, which involves taking the whole top end of the saw apart........... :bang: bang: bang:

Bad words were said......

OK, got all of that fixed up, finished cutting up the blanks YEAH!! :clap:

OK, got to make up some more sealer, I mix up 2/3 glue and 1/3 water, to do this, I need to heat the water, or it just does not mix well, get out my little gas bomb stove and the gas bomb is out of gas :doh: I trundle across the street to buy one.....

Mix up the sealer, and finish that job.

Time for work at the L shop..........

It is raining, like I said, so I take the little van for deliveries.......

............ and guess what............?? I have a flat tire :bang: :eek:

I get the tire inflated and drive to the gas stand, yep, a nice shiny nail in my tire............. at least they can fix it, they plugged the tire..........

Boy I tell you, the rest of the day, I've been looking over my shoulder all day, double, tipple checking everything, twice....... :rolleyes:

Sure hope tomorrow is better.......... and I hope I've used up my bad day stuff for a LONG time to come.... :wave: :D

No coffee? :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually, glad nothing really serious happened. Tomorrow should be better. That is, if the plug doesn't ruin your tire. I thought that wasn't supposed to be done anymore. :dunno:

BTW, I buy coffee in advance, have several three pound cans in the freezer. Some things ye just don't take chances with. ;)

Yep, they still plug tires here, I don't have a problem with it, if it does not hold, all you get is a slow leak, the last one I had plugged lasted the life of the tire, no leaks :dunno:

I too buy coffee in bulk, I like the Kirkland Columbian stuff from Costco, we missed our usual Costco run a bit back, due to my wife's illness and me being in hospital, I think my wife and youngest daughter are going on Monday (daughter has the day off from school, as "Sports Day" is this Sunday).

I had coffee in the Dungeon, but only "instant" :(

You definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed.

Well, if it is any consolation we all have days like this just not as bad as yours all at once. Usually my bad days involve water in some way....

Hopefully you have fulfilled your quota of things going wrong for a while.

, if the plug doesn't ruin your tire. I thought that wasn't supposed to be done anymore. :dunno:

That's news to me. I thought it was fine in the tread, but not in the sidewall.

I've had tires plugged before, granted that was a long time ago, but I saw a friend get a tire plugged just 2 years ago.

Stu,
Looking at your day it looks like you got a lot done - not what you wanted to do, but still . . .:D:thumb:

I hope today goes smoother and according to plan - oops just jinxed it!:doh:;)

Wes

That's news to me. I thought it was fine in the tread, but not in the sidewall.

I've had tires plugged before, granted that was a long time ago, but I saw a friend get a tire plugged just 2 years ago.

The tire guys around here will not plug. They claim it is illegal. They would not even plug for my ATV or lawn mower tires. They say it has something to do with spreading the cords and weakening the whole tire. That's wat they say. :dunno:

The tire guys around here will not plug. They claim it is illegal. They would not even plug for my ATV or lawn mower tires. They say it has something to do with spreading the cords and weakening the whole tire. That's wat they say. :dunno:

I guess your lawn mower is one of those high performance machines that do 140 mph:D

My experience, especially with plugs, is that all the tire places use them if they will hold, but none will put them on those low profile high performance tires usually found on sports cars, bmws, and similar wheels.

I wished I hadn't read this thread earlier today......

as I ended up getting STU'd and maybe I should have left the shop and got stewed!

I cut enough 3/4" plywood to make 9 doors for my cabinet but only 5 of them are useable! GRRRRRRRR!

Had an out of town visitor a few weeks ago. One of the tires was flat, so I put the spare on and plugged the flat and figured I use that as a flat for a couple of weeks.

Drove to Virginia peak here in Nevada. Beautiful view, site of the local doppler radar tower.

Coming down, had 2 flat tires. Used the plugged one as a spare, and then another tire blew. Took 3 hours for a tow truck to get us. What a fun day.

Finally got new tires on the ole SUV the other day. What a bunch of fun...

Oh, the plugged spare took 4 plugs to hold air.

Moral of the story, plugged tires? Good in a pinch, but I wouldn't use a plugged tire as a long term solution, and I've plugged probably about 10 tires so far....