Bugs

larry merlau

well folks i need some advice,, i went out to the wood storage area last night and saw fresh saw dust on some of the lumber:eek: it is coming from some ash i got a couple years ago,, which was supposed to be kiln dried. but some of it had bark on it and i didnt take the time to take it off.. so now i am in the process of taking it outof the rack.. i have read that ash is very bad for powder post beetles,, now if it were kiln dried wouldnt that have killed them???? and if so then perhaps the lumber we got wasnt dried well enough.. havnt seen any signs in the rest which all has been dried by my guy...so i know its dried.. any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.. right now someone is gonna get some nice gate boards for free:rolleyes:

From both experience and what others have told me, plus similar experiences related on other forums.....yer oudda luck. Once the buggies get a taste they stay. Spraying is futile, even gassing doesn't get inside. The wood needs to be used, and quickly. They like some woods more than others. I find that Dogwood is a favorite.

Could you try applying some DNA laced with pure capescin (sp - the hot pepper stuff) extract? Just remember about this and wear proper PPE when handling and machining the wood afterward.

well we took it all out, the ash that is and sorted and checked it,, the stuff i had cut and dried was in good shape it was the other stuf that had the bugs. took and cut off all the bark or buggy areas and put in the burn pile... the boards that had to many holes in it got stacked for the lucky gate guy:) i only lost around 150 bft of it and will keep my eyes open for the next few days to see if i get any more dust. saw where they had tried to chew the kiln dried stuff in a couple place and they gave up just started and quit..:thumb: so time will tell.

right now someone is gonna get some nice gate boards for free

.....gate boards?...like for holding these critters?

P1010221.jpg

I got to ask, was that the Ash I brought down and split with you?...the stuff I made Jr's kitchen cabinets from?...or did you get it elsewhere?

Larry, I have heard that you can salvage bug infested wood by stickering it up wrapped in black plastic, and leave it out in that torrid furnace of a sun we have in Michigan. You need to seal in every btu available, I don't recall exactly what temp it takes but I bet if you left it out for a year or 2 we might actually get three days or a week of continuous sun.
The official treatment for powder post beetles is to keep a sharp eye on them and wait for the adults to come out to breed, you then launch a chemical war on them with (i think) a boric acid based insecticide.
I do happen to hate the little buggers. They ate into my 12/4 birdseye maple stash a few years ago.
I can't hardly believe that Steve ASH is pokeing fun at you regarding about how you lost yer ash........:rofl: