Chisel/Scraper Drawer

glenn bradley

I have a few Blue Chip chisels that are my bench area 'workers'. They lived in a workbench drawer with tip covers to protect them from all the other stuff in there. While digging for my 1/8" chisel I had one of those "ah-ha" moments . . .

Grabbed a piece of oak scrap, drilled 1-1/4" holes on 2" centers about 3/8" deep, cut an old magnetic tool bar to size and double-stick taped them into the drawer . . . ta-da:

chisel-drawer-1.jpg

I keep my hi-tech scraper holder (the blue plastic accordion file, $1 at WalMart), burnisher, file, glue-scraper chisel, my weighted mallet and a bag of desiccant in the same drawer to keep them company:

chisel-drawer-2.jpg

Nothing too amazing but, when others post small items like this I sometimes find ways to use them or something similar in my shop. Hope this does that for someone else. :wave:

Last edited:
Glenn,

Who said you had to have tools vertical to use the magnetic bars?? I may have to incorporate your idea into an upcoming project. Thanks for the great idea.

yes, Yes, YES! Good old Glen does it again. :clap:

This is exactly what I need to fix up my tool boxes.
I have been looking at it to hard. (as is usually the case :rofl:)

DT

Well it looks like Glenn is wisely trying to bypass that dreaded realization that something is irretrievably lost.

Looking good! The small stuff is just as important as the big stuff.

Hi Glen.

That's a great idea and it will prevent them rocking when opening the drawer.

However, I'd like to ask a general question here; I've seen that many members of the forum hold their chisels and other tools that way.
Nothing wrong with that so fat but I'm concerned about what happens when sharpening those magnetized chisels. Does the iron dust pile up on them?

I'm asking because I'm hesitating about using magnetic holders for tools that need to be sharpened.

Any comments?

Re: Metal dust and magnets

Glenn,

Your shop is so neat. Why don't you rub some of that off on to your old man?

Have you had problems with magnitized chisels and your new WorkSharp? Or do you have it yet? Or are you having slow delivery so you can wear my WorkSharp 3000 out completely?

Harbor Freight sells a demagnitizer for about $1.50. Other places sell the identical unit for $5 - $6.

Enjoy,

Jim

ps. I have not seen anything about how you are doing with your new Lee Valley block plane. With all of our telephone conversations we never seem to hit that in conversation.