plywood wastage planning

This question is so pertinent and ironic.....so understand my reply...

I prefer to not have plywood cutoffs...As in the 31" by 22" cabinet door I just mis-cut....:eek::rolleyes::D

I generally leave my cutoffs as is. In time most will find a use. IF you cut it narrow .....you are kinda stuck finding a narrow use for it. Later if you find a narrow use, you can cut....if you find a wider use....and it fits...you got it....

when i built my shop i used alot of osb and saved all the off cuts if they were over 6"wide i have after some time, used alot them up in the inside finish,, still have a few and darn few left..and burned a batch that were 6" by 48" those just didnt find a home but the hot dog fire:) if you think you can use it and have room save it, after a period of time you need to sort and get rid of them to start again with a new sheet mark:D:D

I was originally trying to decide what order to use to make my cuts, but have decided to just make my cuts in the order that makes it easiest for me on the main project and not worry about what is left behind. I'd rather have my intended pieces right than have perfect offcuts and bad project pieces. I guess I'll just learn from Ken on this one! :wave: :rofl:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mark, most of my cut off will be long narrow pieces because I usually like the grain running the long way on my cuts, I guess on particle board and similiar type the grain direction doesnt matter much. As Larry said most of my cutoffs get used for something, then pretty soon I find out I've used all the ply. plus the kids use a lot of it for school projects and playing around, a very good learning tool for them. Many of the relatives and friends come over needing a piece of ply too. Lately I've been using a lot of it for test staining and spraying, but those pieces are still good for something. Jerry

http://gschacht.bootlogic.com

I was originally trying to decide what order to use to make my cuts, but have decided to just make my cuts in the order that makes it easiest for me on the main project and not worry about what is left behind. I'd rather have my intended pieces right than have perfect offcuts and bad project pieces. I guess I'll just learn from Ken on this one! :wave: :rofl:

Thanks!

There you go! The project cuts come first, the scrap is just that, scrap. incidentally, you can get a free copy of cutlist which will help maximize your sheet goods usage. it will only allow you to specify 5 'parts', but that'll usually get you in the door on a project.

I ponied up for the 1st level of product awhile back, so I can do up to 20 pieces per project iirc.

end result, maximize your layout and have at it!

I hear what you are after, but the way I design my cuts is to layout in such a way that I can have the sheet precut, at the yard, into manageable pieces a gimped up old WWer can handle in a small shop. Either ripped to a predetermined width or cross cut into a couple of smaller sizes.

This is an easy task here in this local area as it seems the Lumber yards and Home centers hire trained employees who can measure. But reciently I was at my mom's home and we needed extra slats for her antique bed. So I went to Lowes and wanted 1X3 Furring strips cut to 55" The fellow said "Within 1/4" I took it for granted he could measure better than that and said OK (a CYA answer incase he screwed up) but when he handed me the first two, I measured and they were 54 1/4" I said "I hope the rest are colser than that as these are 3/4" off, not 1/4" He got huffed and then another fellow came by and completed the task to a correct measurement, dead on. (all the while I watched moss grow on his feet as it took so long to complete the task of sawing 6 wood slats. :doh:

This is a problem of not carrying a complete tool array when you go for a visit.

Back to the Primus of your quary, I save offcuts no matter what shape and store them till I need them or as was suggested, untill winter when a kindling supply is needed.

Unless it's going to be painted, I plan for the best appearance and let the waste land where it may. I have a bin that holds 4' and less panel scraps in whatever shape they come in and use them as the need comes up.

Im in fear if I post my amateurish ways anymore, the powers that be might close my access.
Why throw out any wood?
Im not destitute, not poor, but I dont throw out any wood since I started this hobby couple years back.

Got 3, 4 , 5 inch cutoffs, hey no problem.
Got some time, nothing to do, make a gift.

I know its above the real pros here, but I have the advantage of no talent to help me come up with my ideas.

Mark, everyone has that one person we want to give a little gag gift too now and then.

Take a few pieces, mitre the ends, make a box, rabbet out the back,find some old glass, (I buy cheap, cheap at garage sales, like 25 cents each, just for some glass), dado out the thickness of the glass, glue it up, take some of those strips of hardwood, like the 1/4 inch strips, whatever, or poplar that you normally chuck in the garbage or use for the fire place.
Make a mitred faceframe, and boom, get a paint pen, a stencil, make a gift.
Heres one Im in the middle of, too many things going on, too little time.

For the guy who has everything. Sometimes, Id put a Bud bottle in there, a lone cigarette, a pack of cigs, adult themes, anything like I put a pack of twinkies in one for someone I knew who had a twinkie fetish and was on a strict diet.(so Im mean, they laughed alot)
If I have a piece of small chain, I make a tiny looking hammer and attach it, kinda makes it look a bit nicer.
Maybe it costs me 50 cents for the glass and chain.

If theres only 3 inch strips, make the same box,but longer and wider, put some dados for shelves, put a faceframe around, great if you have some scrap hardwood for faceframe, only need 1/8 or 1//4 inch, and boom, its a curio box for someone.
Stain, paint, dont matter. I use whats laying around.

I know this all sounds silly, but I have yet had anyone laugh or not enjoy the gift, especially since I made it for them.
(I put a phony Amex gold card in one, for a girl who spends too much, she put it in her office)
Always best to make the item look suspended in air by attaching it to the back.
Again, I apologize if this is out of line, I just wanted to show how I use all the ply scraps.

Attachments

• Tiki 255 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 255 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Tiki 256 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 256 (Medium).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 76
I have to agree with Allen - I keep strips as small as 1" wide and pieces that are as small as 6" in length. Always finding uses for these, if only for stand-offs when finishing. If it's less than 1" x 6", I MIGHT throw it away but maybe not if I can foress any use for it.

Jim

Allen, I know it is not original to your mind set as I have seen this before, But: I will give you credit for inspiring my launch of this gag . :thumb: we have a houseboat that about a dozen guys own and we are in the process of getting a new toilet... what a great idea to screw to the wall... Haven't had a working toilet for years and the new one is going to be so exciting, And with your idea I know the guys will have a ball. :rofl:

Thanks for the posting!!! :wave:

I built an icebox for my outdoor bar with some nice oak veneer plywood I had leftovers on. Now Imworking on building a plywood hinge to swivel it in and out of the bar so its not in the way of the drink server, but rather off to the side, but will store under the counter when not in use(cant open the top if its not out from under the counter)

since I didnt stain this one, and had it laying around for weeks, suspending the bud can without opening it is always a great challenge, takes more time then making the case, but stuck it on my tiki bar till I make a nicer one.

Attachments

• Tiki 294 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 294 (Medium).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 37
all those 1/4 inch cutoffs that is just laying around and warping, waiting for the trash.
Took out some paint, used 2 coats of varnish, heres an idea.
(I got a book on cartoon drawing)
Easy to cut and make fence toppers.

Attachments

• wood stuff 012 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 012 (Medium).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 33
What ever is left after the smoke settles. Don't use much ply so I have a tendency to hold onto what ever is left for use on jigs and such. Long narrow pieces quickly become sacrificial auxilliary miter gauge fences for the TS. Wider stuff might become a specific purpose miter sled, such as a small one for cutting pen blanks. Even so specific as being made to cut specific lengths for pen kits I use most often.