Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic Model 50 Jointer

Powermatic Model 50 Jointer

I went to a garage sale today and came across this jointer. The seller had it marked $350, but upon talking offered to sell it for $275. I said I couldn't go over $175 and he said $200 was as low as he'd go. After talking to him for for a little while I agreed to the $200 price and brought it home.

Looking at information on the OWWM site, I think it is probably and early 60's model. It is three phase, but I have a single phase motor that will work. It needs a serious cleaning (that's grease on the tables, not rust) and needs to be repainted. I'm going to strip it down and do a full restoration.

Talking to the seller, it came out of a suburban Detroit-area high school and had been in storage for a few years before he bought it at an auction a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8078.jpg   IMG_8075.jpg   IMG_8076.jpg  

Jointer

Nice find. Is that a 6"? What size motor did it have? It will look and work great after the restoration.

Great catch.

Yes, its a 6". It has a 3/4 HP motor in it now. The motor I have is a 1/2 HP, but it is very old (has the drip cups for oiling) and is probably 50% larger, so I think it will work just fine.

Fast-forward 25 days. Here is how it looks now. Painting is complete and all the hardware is cleaned up.

I'm still messing around with motors. A friend gave me a no-name Chinese motor which would work, but another friend has a Century motor I'm going to look at tomorrow night that he'd sell me for $35. Only question is whether it is reversible as it currently is rotating the wrong direction and he's not sure.

It came with a magnetic starter, but the overloads for it aren't easily available and were too small for a single phase motor so I decided to put a standard switch on it. I started watching Ebay for an original style switch, expecting to pay $40-50 for it. Someone listed one and I asked if he'd be interested in adding a Buy It Now at whatever price he felt was appropriate. I got it for $12. It cleaned up nicely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8086.jpg   IMG_8087.jpg   IMG_8088.jpg   IMG_8089.jpg   IMG_8090.jpg  

IMG_8091.jpg   IMG_8093.jpg  

Looking good Matt, that is going to be sweet when it is all done!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Missed the original post...I think you got a steal there! Can't wait to see it all assembled.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well, I actually finished it up the week of the 4th, but things have been crazy the last couple weeks so I just got around to taking photos. I picked up a dust hood for it over the weekend but haven't had time to install that yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8097.jpg   IMG_8098.jpg   IMG_8099.jpg   IMG_8100.jpg  

Very nice, Matt. That thing cleaned up like new.

Note to self: Bring Matt along as the negotiator when buying used tools.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I somehow missed this till now. Not a PM Green fan but that looks great. What motor did you end up with?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits