Raising a house

Tom Hoffman

Hi everyone. It has been awhile.

My wife and I just purchased a 1200 Sqft house (cabin) "L" shaped. It has been added onto twice since the original small structure was built along time ago.

The problem is that it is on piers above ground, with only 8-12" of clearance below to access the pumbing and other systems.

We would like to raise it 18-24" so I can slither underneath and re plumb and have access to insulate etc.

As a inveterate DIYer, I chafe against hiring "Porfessional" help unless I have to as a last resort.

If you were going tackle this, how would you go about it.

Here are views of the cabin...
DSC04622.jpg

DSC04618.jpg

DSC04617.jpg

I can dig around the base with my bobcat to get down and get better access, but right now there is no point until I have a plan of action.

Thanks for any help.

Tom...:D:D:D

If you can get the timbers possibly 4x12 & 12 ton bottle jacks make clearance for them to go clear across the structure to include all the new sections you need to raise it all at one time & be prepared to block it as you go up. I helped raise 2 houses one about that size & the one I grew up in which was that size also. But they were one piece. You will need to disconnect from plumbing & any other connections to the house that are not flexible.

To be honest with you with what I see in the pictures I wouldn't have touched this with a 10" pole to start with. Additions with semi flat roofs. Have you any knowledge of how the additions were attached to the main structure & how the wiring & plumbing was added to the buildings systems. This looks like a real headache in the making. I would like to believe it isn't going to be any problem so keep us posted.

Last edited:
I know it can be done by a DIY because my dad has done it a time or two. However, in this case, I would be very shy due to the two add ons. I would be concerned that the structure is tied together well enough to lift it in one piece.

The main reason that we tied into it at all was to get into a "PAID FOR HOUSE". We have been living in a subdivision where the home we built 3 years ago to sell, can't be sold for subdivision violations of the DNR code, all found out after I helped 9 people build and I built 2 myself. So the wife and I are going to walk away from a $260,000 house and $1400 ARM loan and move into this to just get rid of house payments period.

Like I said, we would like to do this, but it is not something that we have to do. We have 3-4 acres on a 99 year lease 1200 sqft wood heat and gas supplement. We are tearing out the bath and I will re plumb using pex to get away from the possibility of frozen pipes breaking. The house has been lived in for the past 40 years or so and is habitable for 12 months of the year. We have access to the river and a nice river view about 400 ft away down a nicely sloping hill.

Don't know how to fish yet, but will probably get my son to teach me I love to eat Walleye.... & Catfish. May be we will just raise the roof on the low sections instead of trying to lower the draw bridge.

Thanks for the imput. You kind of reinforced what I had been thinking.

Tom...

The pros can come out and lift the house for you in one or two days and be done with it. Around here something that size would not cost much more then $1000. If it was one peice, then it would be fairly easy. With three joints to worry about, I would not want to try it.