Thread: Stanley No.11 Plane

Stanley No.11 Plane

My wife, son, and I attended the almost weekly family dinner at my parents' house tonight. With Father's Day approaching, I slipped down to the basement after dinner, to see if I could get any ideas for my Dad. While I was looking around I spotted something unique. It was a Stanley No.11 Plane. I haven't seen a plane like this before. I jumped online and after a quick google search, I came up with this link and picture.

http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com....anley%2011.htm
    Stanley 11 belt maker's plane

offered 1869- 1943

5 3/4" long with a 2 3/8" cutter.

One of the few Stanley planes not intended for woodworkers. This tool was designed to plane leather transmission belts used in early machinery. This is a single iron plane like the No 9. The adjuster works with a small cap iron used in low angle planes. Maple handles are the most common though every now and then the odd one shows up with rosewood or beech handles. The handles from the 12 models are not a good replacement because the slots for the screws are a different width.
    Apparently it is a belt maker's plane. I didn't want to ask my Dad about it yet. I'll wait until after Father's Day. If those dates are correct, someone must have given it to my Dad, as he wasn't born until several years after 43. Many years ago, I know that he did do some leather work, so maybe he used this plane for that.

I wonder if it could be used on wood, or if it is strictly for use on leather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stanley11.jpg  
    Last edited by Sean Wright; 06-02-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

I've never seen anything like that, very cool!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

You can learn more at Patricks Blood and Gore web site. One of the best on planes I have found.

Now, never used one and I doubt that it has much practical use as a woodworking tool. There might be some specialty used where it excels. But I can't imagine a use for it. Well, making leather belts.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    You can learn more at Patricks Blood and Gore web site. One of the best on planes I have found.

Now, never used one and I doubt that it has much practical use as a woodworking tool. There might be some specialty used where it excels. But I can't imagine a use for it. Well, making leather belts.
    Take a look at the 11 on Patrick's site. It's the same plane body, with an extended front, used for planing floors.

Also, John Walter's guide says (of the 11): "Originally used for smoothing floors, used today as a handy plane for planing large surfaces before scraping - as in table tops."

Walter's 1994 (newest available) Guide puts the price of the #11 at $100.00~$200 for a post 1909 model, and up to $400 for a pristine 1869~1904 model. YMMV...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!