Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking at bandsaws

Looking at bandsaws

Well like the title says, it's about that time for me to check into buying a bandsaw, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I will most likely go with a 14" one and I was looking at the Delta model 28-276. I am hoping to cut some decent sized logs on it and I don't think the 6 1/4" clearance is going to cut it so I noticed they had a height attachment for an extra $130 which will allow me to cut 12 1/4". Has anyone had experience with this setup? I know I'm trying to squeeze all I can out of a less expensive setup and the motor is only 3/4 hp, but I would like to be able to cut some thicker stuff without loosing any stability in the machine. Does anyone know if that attachment causes the machine or blade to kind of jump around or vibrate? Or am I completely looking in the wrong direction and need to focus on a few other machines? Any advice or comments, feel free! Thanks in advance

I'd just like to point out that after I posted this, I checked what people had to say about this saw on amazon. The reviews did not seem too good! But I would still like to see what you guys might recommend

I think that the biggest problem you will encounter is that motor is not robust enough.

If I were you, I'd look at an older saw, even if it is a 14" model, the older saws are often a bit more stout, and with the money you save, you can put the riser kit in and get a bigger motor.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I came across a Powermatic 44. It has a 1hp motor, 14" throat and 9" depth of cut. It cut wet box elder with no problem. Only downside is no one sells the 102" blade but I make my own. After a few run ins with Delta service I would not recommend a Delta anything. I have heard good things about the Harbor Freight (with some tweaking) and really good things about the Grizzly. Laguna is good if you have deep pockets and don't mind changing the drive belt right away.

The Delta, Jet and Grizzly 14" saws are all excellent in that size range. The Jet and Griz do have risers available, giving up to one foot cutting ability. The Delta may also, I just dunno. I have the Grizz G0555 and have never put on the riser block because my gut instinct tells me that might be asking the machine to do more than it was designed for. However, there are many of the riser blocks in use and I have seen reports by happy owners. The Griz model bandsaw has a two-speed feature to add power for big cuts. You said "some" big logs. I'll opine, the number of "big" logs you want to cut should determine your choice of machine. A few would probably not hurt the bandsaw. High volume, you are sure to wear it out. One day, I'm hoping to come across a bargain used large machine that would be dedicated to cutting up the big stuff. Your budget and choice. Let us know what you decide.

Wes,
    Take a look at the Grizzly G0555. For about $500 delivered, it's hard to beat.

For a larger (17") saw, with 12" resaw capability, the Grizzle G0513 is a nice saw, too. A friend has one, and I've tried it out. Nearly as nice as my Laguna - at less than half the price!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I recently scored a used 14" HF, and while I haven't had occasion to use it yet, I have used a twin to it. One note, a Grizzly riser will fit on a HF bandsaw, with a little modification.
    -Ned

What Ned means is that while he hasn't used his HF BS yet, he has used mine. His has the riser block, mine does not. When I bought my HF BS, I decided to use it strictly without the riser and if I ended up needing the extra capacity to invest in a bigger saw as a 2nd BS. Of course, at this point a bigger shop would be necessary to house the bigger saw...

I have the Delta mini lathe which only has 10" swing. Anything that will fit on my lathe but not my bandsaw can be handled with the reciprocating saw and the 12" blade.

You might be able to also find some nice deals on older three phase bandsaws. A big behemoth saw like this and the converter together sometimes add up to buying a major brand 14" saw new. Something to think about. You know you want a 36" bandsaw - admit it!

Check out the Rincon 14 inch. From what Ive researched, it's about the best bang for the buck for a 14". I have a Grizzly, but if I were doing it over again, I'd but the Rincon. Steel frame, 12" resaw capacity, 1.5hp motor, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    Check out the Rincon 14 inch. From what Ive researched, it's about the best bang for the buck for a 14". I have a Grizzly, but if I were doing it over again, I'd but the Rincon. Steel frame, 12" resaw capacity, 1.5hp motor, etc
    I'll second that. My HF came as a one-time, get it now deal, along with a Delta Midi lathe, but the saw that I was waiting to get was the Rincon, as it was the HF deal was too good to pass up, so I went for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    What Ned means is that while he hasn't used his HF BS yet, he has used mine. His has the riser block, mine does not. When I bought my HF BS, I decided to use it strictly without the riser and if I ended up needing the extra capacity to invest in a bigger saw as a 2nd BS. Of course, at this point a bigger shop would be necessary to house the bigger saw...

I have the Delta mini lathe which only has 10" swing. Anything that will fit on my lathe but not my bandsaw can be handled with the reciprocating saw and the 12" blade.

You might be able to also find some nice deals on older three phase bandsaws. A big behemoth saw like this and the converter together sometimes add up to buying a major brand 14" saw new. Something to think about. You know you want a 36" bandsaw - admit it!
    Yep, forgot to mention that it was Mark's saw I've used. NIce saw, good fit and finish. Aww c'mon Mark you might not be able to fit a tablesaw in there, but you could squeeze another bandsaw in. Just move the metal shelves to the wood storage room and you're golden!
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 06-02-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    -Ned