Camphor Firewood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Got this wood from a firewood lot in Pasadena. It's camphor, and man, did I have clear sinuses after turning this stuff. My shop smelled like a liniment factory for a week afterward. I kinda liked it. The wood was relatively soft, but cut and sanded nicely. I went full salad bowl mode and just finished it with mineral oil. I sold it last weekend before I had a chance to get measurements, but it was about 12" across and 7" high. It'll hold a lot of salad.

Bowl 045 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 045 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 045 - 03 800.jpg

This is another bowl from the same log, and it sold to the same guy. It's about 10" x 5", and more mineral oil finish. In this case, the finish seemed to be one of the main selling points. The buyer is a chef, and he was very familiar with oiling his wooden kitchen stuff.

Bowl 046 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 046 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 046 - 03 800.jpg

You all know the comments and critiques drill. Let 'er rip.

Wow, that sure is pretty wood, and interesting about the smell, cool!

I like the simple lines, nicely done, and as you sold it, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks so! :thumb:

Vaughn

Those are both very attractive bowls. I really like the heart/sap combination. I had some camphor large enough to make a couple of bottle stoppers and I really liked the smell.

Terry

Vaughn
Very nicely done. I like the looks of that bowl a lot. Never saw that type wood, would love to get a hold of some to turn. Good job. Mitch

Vaughn - love the forms on both of the bowls! Actually, the Camphor is some really nice looking wood! Curious, could you still smell the Camphor after applying the mineral oil? Don't know if I would want my salad to absorb that smell....

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'll be hoping there's more of this stuff next time I hit the woodlot.
...Curious, could you still smell the Camphor after applying the mineral oil? Don't know if I would want my salad to absorb that smell....
There was still a faint hint of the smell after drying and oiling. I don't think it'll be enough to transfer into any salad it might come into contact with. The real aromatic time was when I was roughing out the green wood.

All the time I see threads about miraculous finds in the firewood pile. Here are some more. I can't find wood like this in the wood stores.

Vaughn, these are beautiful pieces of wood and lovely little bowls. I am not surprised you sold them. Very nice.

I like turning camphor and enjoy the smell. It is not the greatest wood for boxes as it is a little soft.