Early Happy Father's Day! Cherry Score!

Jeff Bower

While on a walk last night with my wife and daughter, we were discussing what kind of plants to plant to finish of a bed we just took around a ton of crushed brick out of. Out of no where, my wife says, "Wow, look at all that free wood!" Just after that she said, "Why did I say that!" To be honest, I wouldn't have even noticed it. She is getting tired of the amount of wood I have in the garage, along with all the curlies and dust and dirt and...well you get the picture. She followed up asking me to stop grinning by saying, "Happy Father's Day!"

I went back and loaded up about half of the wood. Took it back and tried out a small limb making a crude vase....yep its cherry alright and I'm going back to get the rest today! Turns like butter, very wet and still has lots of leaves on some of the limbs. First time turning cherry for me...I think I like it! For the pic police...pics will be added later.

congrats jeff...you will love cherry turning. be aware of cracking though. the only trouble i've had with cracking has been going from green to dry with cherry...no other woods. there are a few posts on this site talking about that issue and one suggestion was to turn the green blank wall thinner than the 10% generally recommended. not every cherry blank has cracked on me so there could have been residual stresses in some blanks that i couldn't foresee??? one crack developed when i left the roughed out blank to dry overnight after a DNA soak. so i'll be drying them briefly in the future and then wrapping in brown paper with the inside of the vessel exposed to dry quicker than the outside.

good luck and let's see pictures.

...For the pic police...pics will be added later.
OK buddy, we'll let you off with a warning this time, but only because you admitted guilt without trying to weasel your way out of the ticket.

Now move along and try to stay out of trouble young man. :p

Oh, and congrats on the (alleged) new wood. Sounds like it's time to make something for LOYL, so she won't mind the wood and the chips and the dust so much. ;) Fortunately, my wife's easy. A simple little paper clip bowl made of her favorite wood can buy me 6 to 10 months of harp-free bliss. :)

Vaughn, thanks for the pass. I had plans of taking pics and turning some of it this weekend, but the river running through my basement put that on the back burner. Plus now the cherry is buried under a load of oak logs I got from a friend. Had to move it all to find the lost shop vac to suck up all the water. :(