Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I'm very sad and overwhelmed

Today I'm very sad and overwhelmed

A master woodcarver I know since I was 3 year old kid, who was my grand dad's neigbourgh has started to give me all his tools.

He is 79, his wife is in very frail condition and he is not carving anymore due to his bad eyesight do his age. They have no sons and he is taking care of her and doing all the household work. I go to visit them two or three times a month and we chat togheter and spend some good time.

He showed me how to sharpen gouges, and although he didn't teach me literally, throughout the years, the hours that he let me stay next to him just looking and asking questions made me learn all I know about woodcarving that is not even a tenth of what he knows. He's made more than 4000 pieces in his life and he used to knock down a figure in two or three days. ( He had to earn his living he says)

He told me today that he wanted me to have all his tools and he has started giving me some of them.
    I never asked him for anything and even less that, but he insisted and even got a bit angry when I politely refused and finally after listening to him I accepted. One of the things he told me is that he is sure that I will use them and by using them I'll remember him.
    He's been fine tuning and sharpening them, replaced broken handles and leaving them in tip top condition

Honestly I think that I do not deserve them, and I hope not to deceive him.
    I'm really overwhelmed and sad because of this, when he told me this I almost burst into tears.

I'm not going to tell how many tools and what are they, and I'm not going to post any pics of them because I find that if I did, it would be disrespectful.

I'm sorry for such a long post but I wanted to share this with you, because I think that only woodworkers can understand fully how I'm feeling.

Thanks for reading and your patience
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

It is obvious that you hold this man in very high regard - and he, you. He feels comfortable leaving his tools to you knowing they will be used and respected. What an honor!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Toni, sounds like you are his protege, and that he values that relationship, use them well, and when the time comes, pass them on as he has to you.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Honestly I think that I do not deserve them, and I hope not to deceive him.
    Toni, he thought you DID deserve them...using them and continuing to "fine tuning and sharpening them, replaced broken handles and leaving them in tip top condition" and then passing them onto another deserving woodworker will prove him right. Congrats, an honor indeed!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Toni, I hope that you see it is very important to him that his tools are handed down to someone who he knows will use them. He has shown his admiration for you by asking you to take the tools. You should show your admiration and respect for him by taking them with open arms and an open heart.

It is sad to see an old master begin to fade, but by passing his tools to you, his legacy can continue. I believe he sees this, and wants it to be this way. I can understand your sadness, but just realize that this is most likely making him happy, and giving him comfort and peace of mind.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Toni,

What an honor and what high regard this man must have for you. Take them with pride and assure him you'll do your best to see that they are used to the best of your ability. Tell him how proud you are of his obvious affection for you. A craftsman's tools........wow! A great honor.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    It is sad to see an old master begin to fade, but by passing his tools to you, his legacy can continue. I believe he sees this, and wants it to be this way. I can understand your sadness, but just realize that this is most likely making him happy, and giving him comfort and peace of mind.
    Well,... yes, I understand what you mean, and I understand that by accepting the tools I'm making him happy.
    One of the things he fears most is having his tools sold at a flea market upon his death and that's one of the reasons why he is giving them to me.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Maybe your next plane should have some carving - especially if you can show it to him as proof that they'll be respected and used well, even if you don't think they'll be used as well as by his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Maybe your next plane should have some carving - especially if you can show it to him as proof that they'll be respected and used well, even if you don't think they'll be used as well as by his hand.
    Thanks Mark. You've given me a great idea. Wait and see...
    Best regards,
    Toni

Toni, I have a similar story and some shop tools that I will never part with. They came to me in a somewhat similar way. Like you I don't talk much about it and I don't go bragging about what I came into.

But I can tell you that you have been paid a huge compliment and that you will honor this gentleman by accepting and using these!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits