Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawdust and curlies

Sawdust and curlies

Kind of an odd question, but what do you guys do with your sawdust and curlies off the lathe? Just throw it in the trash? I guess before owning a lathe I've never created this much sawdust to think about anything other than throwing it in the trash. I have a good sized pile of some from bloodwood. Really neat red color and smells awesome! ...anything creative to do with it?

Most of mine goes into the "green bin" for curbside yard waste pickup by the city. Some folks use it as garden mulch (but you should avoid using walnut, since it acts as a herbicide). I've saved curlies (not the sawdust) from cedar, with the intention of making the little drawer and closet freshen-uppers, but never got around to doing anything with them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Walnut I sweep up and do away with. All the others I put in my compost bin with the grass clipping. Makes great mulch in gardens and flower bed.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I can't speak of curlies from lathes, but the dust from my saws and planers goes to a friend of mine up the road for his horse stalls. Any farms with horses or cows near by looking for curlies???

Tom

My sweetheart has a dog (a small one thank goodness), so she regularly does "yard patrol" for "land mines" . We keep a small bucket full of shaving handy for her to put the doogy-doo in until garbage day. The shavings dry it out quickly and there is almost no odor as long as we start each week with fresh shavings.
    The rest of it goes into the compost pile and eventually gets used in the raised beds.

cheers

Great thanks everyone, those are all good ideas. Tom there are a few farms around me, I'll keep an eye out for horses. Thanks everyone.

be careful using them for animals. The dust can be a problem, I live on a farm that has loads of horses and they won't touch the stuff. Someone just took 10 bin bags of the stuff off me for chickenrun however, again a mud probably.

I use it to make paths in the garden, ideal for muddy places in particular. Soaks up the moisture and takes ages to rot down. Anything up to 12 months IME

Too much used as compost will rob the soil of nitrogen. Alternatively if you have access to paper bags, bag it up and burn like logs. Don't throw onto a fire mind,it'll explode as the dust in the air catches.

Pete

We have a large flower and vegetable garden. The noodles that don't go there are put onto a compost pile. Sometimes a local machine shop gets a couple of bags from me to soak up oil.

We give all of ours to a friend who keeps chickens - makes chicken-house clean-up a breeze, he says.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Depends on what type of wood

Apple and mesquite go into the barbecue, so does a few other fruit trees. I don't turn oak, but if I did, I would put that into the barbecue too. What I don't use up I give to friends for their barbecue.

Most other chips go around the trees and flowers beds.

I found that black walnut and bubinga kills poison ivy and most other plants. I also understand black walnut is not good for bedding horses. I have no idea if this is the same for chickens.