Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the North Texas area want to buy a Mesquite tree?

Anyone in the North Texas area want to buy a Mesquite tree?

I have a co-worker that has a Mesquite tree in her yard that she would like to get out of there. She says the base up to about 4' tall is about 18" diameter. Is there anyone around North Texas that would consider paying for it to harvest? I'd hate for something like that to get chopped up for fire wood. If not an individual, anyone know of a sawyer that would buy something like that? I know that there are possible problems with metal in the tree. Thanks for any help you can offer. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I have a co-worker that has a Mesquite tree in her yard that she would like to get out of there. She says the base up to about 4' tall is about 18" diameter. Is there anyone around North Texas that would consider paying for it to harvest? I'd hate for something like that to get chopped up for fire wood. If not an individual, anyone know of a sawyer that would buy something like that? I know that there are possible problems with metal in the tree. Thanks for any help you can offer. Jim.

I'd like to buy it all, but sending it to Spain would be rather difficult, but I wouldn't mind getting a piece big enough to make a plane at least.
    I don't know if we could buy it some of us together and share it?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Paging Scot Kelley, Scot Kelley your expertise is required!

Seriously, He's the only sawyer I know of in Tejas, albeit a bit south of those parts.
    -Ned

Toni said in pertinent part, ". . . but I wouldn't mind getting a piece big enough to make a plane at least."

Toni,
    I've got some 2" thick mesquite scraps in the shop. About what size would you need? If you will pay for shipping, I will gladly send you some for a plane.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

If I was within a day's drive, I'd take it off her hands and give her something for it for sure. Location location location, one mans trash is another's treasure when it comes to tree species. Had a friend send me a small piece of mesquite, made a small nutcracker out of it, and it was BEAUTIFUL grained wood. Hard but easy to work. Wish we could get some up here in PA without paying an arm and a leg to a retail specialty lumber yard.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Quote Originally Posted by John Downey View Post
    Toni, I may have some scraps that size around as well, have to check. If not I can pick some up next time I'm in Tucson, friend of mine there uses about 75% mesquite and his shop is usually very busy, making lots of scraps. So between me and Jerry, we ought to be able to make you pretty tired of the stuff!
    John, Jerry thank you very much for your offer. Yes, I'm ready to pay for the shipping.
    As far size is concerned, obviously the bigger/thicker/longer the better but 2" should be enough, for a small plane, grain won't match but that's not crucial.

Is there any way that you can get an estimation of the shipping costs? I could reimburse them to you through PayPal. I guess that surface mail would be the cheapest, due to weight and size.
    Any of you can send me a PM at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks again!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Jim,
    You might want to contact Woods of Mission Timber. They are located in Sanger, and really great people to work with - Nice display area, and some beautiful wood.

http://www.woodsofmissiontimber.com/index.html

Thanks for the heads up, Lee. I think my co-worker actually may live up closer to Decatur, not real sure. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I'd be surprised if you could get a sawyer out there for one tree, and doubly surprised if they'd pay her for it. That seems like a big mesquite to folks that aren't familiar with it... but it's not 'special'.

KC

Kirk, would a tree this size be better utilized for turning blanks? I don't understand what size boards come out what size trees, so you're right, it seems like a big Mesquite to me, but may not be worth while to cut into boards. If it would be good for turning blanks, I might see what I can salvage out of it if they decide to just cut it down to get it out of the way. That is, if there is any interest in that sort of thing. Thanks for the info guys!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!