Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinge Question

Hinge Question

OK gang, looks like I'll be making a set of doors this weekend, I'm debating between three 'normal' hinges or three strap hinges for the two main shop doors. It is a barn, so the strap hinges will fit in looks wise, but I'm still thinking about the regular ones as an alternative. The main doors are going to be just over 8' tall once everything is said and done, so I'll definitely be going with three sets per door to carry the weight. It'll be good and stout, with 2x4 and 2x6's as the frame, 3/4 ply for the field and I'll dress it up later once I get to the exterior of the shop (ie, later this summer).
    -Ned

I'd go with the strap hinges considering that you're building "stout" doors. I believe them to be stronger overall and the weight of the door will be supported by lags with the stress across the axis of the lag rather than in line with the axis of the screw in a regular hinge. In essence, hinge screws can pull out with a lot of weight on them whereas strap hinges won't let the door sag because of the way they're attached.

Just my 2 cents.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Straps. Heavy doors have a lot of tension in them courtesy of gravity.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

sounds good to me guys, thanks! Strap Hinges, check! Found some beefy ones at my local hardware store, think I'll go pick them up tomorrow when I get done with work.
    -Ned

Want me to see if that place in Hamilton that has the big clearance sale going on still has hinges for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Want me to see if that place in Hamilton that has the big clearance sale going on still has hinges for you?
    sure thing, looking for 6 of the largest you can find (strap about 7 or 8" on both halves)
    -Ned

I'll look - any interest in half-strap / half-traditional?

Mark, I'm only going to build these once, and at 8' tall, Overkill is just going to be enough, straight strap would be preferable if they have them.
    -Ned

Not a problem. I'll buy up to 6 double-strap hinges they have that are big enough. No idea what is left though - I noticed they still had a plethora of hinges, but wasn't too interested in them at the time.

Ned:

I think my phone LCD finally died, but I got you two 8" strap hinges and six 6" ones.

Up to you if you want the 6" units, but I figured maybe you could put the 8" on top and then three 6" on the doors too, or whatever you feel like doing. They don't have any more 8" units but they still have some 6" ones. I forget the price on the 8" hinges, but the 6" ones were $1.15. I seriously wonder if they are worth more as scrap iron than hinges at that low price.