Thread: glue question (stealth mini-gloat)

glue question (stealth mini-gloat)

I recently picked up a gallon of Elmer's Pro-Bond yellow glue for $7. This is more glue than I am going to use for quite some time. How does this glue compare to other more well-known brands? Also, is there any special way to store this glue if it will be a while before I need to use it?

Thanks!

stealthy, huh. hmmm. If that's equivalent to tite-bond, it will be similar to what we talked about with that one bottle, remove the skin once it forms and it should keep pretty well, but I'd store it in the basement over the winter, just in case.
    -Ned

I think if you move it from the large bottle to smaller bottles you will find it keeps longer, and yeah, freezing it is a certain killer!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I think if you move it from the large bottle to smaller bottles you will find it keeps longer, and yeah, freezing it is a certain killer!
    ayup, you'll want to get a 'working' bottle and keep the big one stocked away.
    -Ned

I might repurpose that mostly empty bottle of Tite-Bond molding glue I just used up. Does it need to be thoroughly rinsed first or does yellow glue mix well with yellow glue?

Tite-bond moulding glue has some special fast drying additives, so I would not mix it with the regular Tite-bond/Elmers.

If it thickens slightly, you can thin it with a tiny amount of water. If it gets gloppy (think winter cold and kleenex - how do you say that nicely?), then it is done. Although I now go through more than a gallon per year, one of my earlier gallons lasted 5-10 years without a problem. Of course, the reason you got it for half price may be because it was already pretty old.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

The place where I get groceries has a couple aisles of hardware. In a pinch I've picked ProBond up there more than once since they dont have titebond. Not sure if it has the same exterior rating as TBII or not, but I've never had any glue problems with it and cant really tell the difference from Titebond.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/