Anyone have experience with Hotwire.com?

LOML is the expert in our family. But she has always beat those places by going direct to the Motel/Airline web sites and just digging around and booking direct.

Every site has pros and cons, some offer the cheapest prices but you can't pick your hotel only area (and sometimes the area can be huge). Others offer cheap prices but the tickets are not changable and you need to pay when you book. If you go to the hotel you will almost always pay more but can usally cancel until 4-6 PM on the day of check-in without any cost and you don't pay until you check out.

The front desk usually has no contol over special discounts, something the sales manager can do something especially if the hotel is empty. No site will give you the best price under every condition, every time. If you want a lot more information send me a PM.

Paul
www.travelbypaul.com

Paul pretty much nailed it. The deals also vary from destination to destination. I've used Priceline (most recently last month in Las Vegas), and know others who've used Hotwire with success. I tend to check several sites, including the hotels (or airlines) themselves, and pick what looks best.

Travel Agents also have access to other inventory that sometimes can yield a better price but usually only as part of a multi-city trip, a group or favor. It is usually not worth the time for one room.

Generally the less flexibility and more specific you want to be the more you will pay, "a random room" will cost less than a no smoking room with a king bed. When you arrive you may find yourself upgraded to a better room and actually pay less. This flexibility allows the hotel to sell rooms to the people that will pay to get exactly what they want and then fill the rest with those that have flexibility but want to pay the least.

well, this isn't quite a set in stone trip, but I'd like to save a few bucks if possible. I've got to go meet my mother on saturday, but the LOML and I are going to turn it into a long overdue honeymoon getaway, and have a nice couple of nights away without the kids or mother in law.

I"m pretty happy with the price quoted, will let you know how things turn out.