Free wood - cut offs

Bartee Lamar

A new friend of mine works at a sprial staircase manufacturer. So I talked about my woodworking hobby and my shop.

He mentioned that they have a cutoff bin and we should get together for lunch and take trip to the facility.

So I got to do that this afternoon.

Of course there has to be some evidence. So here you go...

The 1997 Honda accord was full
IMG_2165.jpg IMG_2164.jpg
It took 3 loads on my 2 wheeler. You can see my tape measure showing 24" to give you an idea of what I got.
IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2186.jpg

I got it all to the basement and sorted out on storage shelves.

The stuff on the right is all jatoba.

IMG_2187.jpg

The 1st stack on the left is longer pieces of jatoba, oak and maple. On the 3rd from the left is two stacks of walnut and the 4th from the left is maple and pine.

IMG_2188.jpg

Here is a good shot of the whole shelf.

IMG_2190.jpg

There were also a bunch of longer pieces. It looks like this is where they are trimming to get a good edge. The do a LOT of glue ups for treads.

IMG_2193.jpg

Free Wood - a few interesting pieces

I had too many pics .....

Here are some interesting pieces, at least to me. The piece on the left is just a nice piece of pine. I got 3 of those. I hope to find a nice use for them.

IMG_2177-1.jpg

There was one very large piece. 4/4 36" x 16 1/2"

IMG_2181.jpg

The problem with the board is checks on both ends. Pictures show the top and bottom problems.

IMG_2180-1.jpg IMG_2182.jpg

I can either rip the boards at the checks and re-glue OR I can cut the center out and have a piece about 20" x 16" to use as table top. Worse case, I can get 2 nice 36" boards. What do you think ?

The other piece is just a nice interesting grain, that will become a top to a box.

IMG_2178.jpg

So it was a nice ( HOT ) Friday afternoon.

Now I just need to get some time in the shop.

As always, I have a web album with all the pictures but I only left out a couple in this post.

Great having friends like yours.

By the way, if you can't find something to do with the piece of Walnut next to the NICE Pine.

I'll make you something nice out of part of it (that is, if you send the piece to me.)

I can't remember seeing a better lookin' piece..........................EVER!

Bruce

Those splits are invitations to run a saw down the split, even if it isn't parallel to the edge. The subsequent glue up is almost invisible since the grain and color match. And if 1/8 inch doesn't cut out all the splt, maybe two cuts will.

A cut like that is really easy on my slider but can also be accomplished with a cross cut sled.

Hi Bartee.

Honestly I think that all those pieces need to take a trip to Spain to meet their relatives, will you be so cruel not to let them come?

I can be their tourist guide to my shop!!:D:rofl::rofl: