First Lesson

Bruce Pennell

Today I got my first lesson. I received a private 5 hour lesson from Wally Dickerman. What a great teacher, I feel very lucky to have tapped into his great knowledge. Wally and his wife are great people very honest and open. I did get to view a lot of nice work, I think Wally has traded with everyone.
It is hard to put into words how much I enjoyed myself today. Wally has such a depth of knowledge when it comes to the vortex. I got to see tools he made back when there where no bowl tools. I had tried one 14" hollow form, but did not have the tools to finish it. Wally let me try a lot of different tools. Life is great!
I've only been turning now for about 3 months so this was a great treat for me. Wally walked me through a 7" X 3" hollow form. The opening is 2 3/4", walnut collar and alder form. What a difference a lesson can make. Wally spent time on form, tool sharpening, life, and turning. What a great teacher. I can not wait for my hollowing tools to get here. I decided to go with Don Pencils scorpion combo. After the lesson from Wally and trying his tools, I decided to wait on the laser, capture system, until I learn to do it by hand,and sound.
Thanks for looking, as always comments are welcome....Thanks...Bruce

Attachments

• img_0019.jpg
    img_0019.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 23
  • img_0020.jpg
    img_0020.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the club, Bruce. Wally has been my turning mentor for several years. He shortens the learning curve by years! This my 7th bowl ever after a the latest lesson with Wally.

Attachments

• Bowl #7 Side.jpg
    Bowl #7 Side.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 16
Very cool, Bruce. (You too, Carol.) So far I've not had the opportunity to turn with someone else (other than the Intarweb), but I can imagine a one-on-one with someone like Wally could shave a lot of time off the learning curve.

Paint me green with Envy :D

I've been doing this turning thing for about 2 years now, I got the Nova DVR 3000 in June of 2006, and I'm taking on the role of demonstrator in our little club here, really, I'm not that good, but someone has to demonstrate stuff.

I'd love to have some one on one time with a turner of Mr. Dickerman's skill, Bruce, and Carol, you two are really blessed.

Cheers!

Thanks to everyone. I'm still reeling from the lesson. Wally is great to learn from, he just has so much knowledge. Thanks again Bruce
PS Carol very nice!

Last edited: