Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Steve Ash

Hey Steve Ash

My son and I went to the kickoff for Hot Rod PowerTour 2008 in Little Rock, AR today. I saw a bunch of super nice cars and snapped a few pics - a couple I thought you might enjoy.

If you have a pulse you have a purpose...

I'm not Steve Ash, and I don't play him on TV, but man those are sweet rides!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I had a '64 SS Impala convertible....and a '72 Chevelle. I was married with 2 kids when we got the Chevelle so we didn't get an SS.

What years are those in the photos......late 60's ? They were of the muscle variety.
    Ken
    ------

The green/blue one, the first pic, looks like a 1970 Chevelle SS, the second one, the Red one looks like a 1971, but I think it is a 72, because of there is no bar across the grill on the 71, I think

Been a while since I played "Guess the Muscle Car Year" used to do that all the time when I was a teenager

Love them all, but the twin headlight design was always cooler looking to me!

Cheers!

PS a buddy and I co-owned a 1967 Impala, convertible....... well it was a convertible when we were done with hot wrench and saws-all..........

I had to go look...........

This is very similar to the 67 Impala we had, ours had not roof......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chev6701.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	21199 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chev6701a.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	21200

And when it comes to Chevelles, this is my favorite, the1969 Chevelle SS in Red and Black!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69_chevelle_SS.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	21201

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 06-08-2008 at 04:03 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Not sure on the years of those cars... I had a '71 Chevelle Malibu when I was a kid (first car) and sure wish I had it back today. I also had a '69 Camaro at one time. I used to could tell year model on Chevelles and Camaros at a quick glance, but no longer. My uncle has a '67 Camaro he's about to do a full restoration on... can't wait to see/drive it!!!

Here are a few more shots from the show:

(Here's my '69 I wish I had back... )

In the interest of being fair/balanced, for any Mopar fans in here... this was the only SuperBee I saw at the show.

And the obligatory General Lee Charger...

Nice old Goat...

For any two-wheeler fans...

Stu, you could probably sell these out of your store...
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 06-09-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...the Red one looks like a 1971, but I think it is a 72, because of there is no bar across the grill on the 71, I think
    I'm pretty sure the red one is a '71... it had the 4 round tail lights on it, if I'm remembering correctly. I think the '72 went to the rectangular tail lights. I'm sure Steve can tell us for sure if he sees this thread...

Thanks Mark...now you got me thinkin of cleanin up my old grocery getter and go back into the car show circuit..... Gosh with gas the way it is and mine burns premium, I guess I'll just be content with it in the shop.

Nice looking cars, every one of em.

You guys got the '70 correct, the red one is a 72.

71 and 72 were almost identical, as was 64/65....66/67......68/69. You had to notice little differences to know the correct year.

Look at the red one again.....see the heavier horizontal bars above and below the SS badging?....a 71 only had one heavy bar in the center of the grille, whereas a 72 had two horizontal bars.

The 1970 was one year that had a look of it's own, even though the body was very close to the 71/72.....the headlights and grille were a one of a kind.

In the case of my 69 SS, it is close to a 68 except that the 68 had a "basket weave" metal grille and the 69 had a plastic one with one heavy horizontal barring. (picture of my old wreck shows it)

Tailights are a bit different as well....except with the 71/72....they were virtually the same with only a stamping in the plastic lens that read 1971 or 1972.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

A bit more info on grilles and years....

http://inpcars.com/grilles-and-grille-guards/220.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    Tailights are a bit different as well....except with the 71/72....they were virtually the same with only a stamping in the plastic lens that read 1971 or 1972.
    '71 and '72 had the same tailights? Is that true for the Malibu as well as the SS? I sure thought they were different... but I'm gettin' old and so is my memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren View Post
    '71 and '72 had the same tailights? Is that true for the Malibu as well as the SS? I sure thought they were different... but I'm gettin' old and so is my memory...
    Yep, same taillights.

The 70 Malibu/SS had the square taillights.

The 71/72 Malibu/SS had two circular taillights on each side.

....some of the things were used on both the Malibu and the Super Sport....

To authenticate a Malibu from a SS you need to know the VIN prefix, 1969 and on they did not differetiate from the two. It is easy therefore to clone a 1969-1974 Chevelle into a Super Sport because no difference in VIN tags.

A super sport (at least mine) had a 12 bolt rear end, heavy duty front sway bar, heavy duty rear sway bar, the obvious SS badging, twin dome hood scoops.....and the mighty mouse big block 396.

Mine also came with bucket seats, console, 4 speed muncie...these were optional, a friend of mine swears she bought a new 69 SS with a bench seat and automatic.

I am the second titled owner of my 69 SS. My son has a 69 Malibu...with a 383 stroker....dang thing is quick off the line, but he can't hang with ole pops at the end.....the ole 396 with 425 ponies, just keeps gaining on him.

I've had a ton of good memories, car shows, cruises, with mine, she has served me well with around 10 or so trophies and awards, best paint, best 60's car, .....I drive here everywhere, well I use to, even to the grocery store. I never trailered it anywhere but the paint shop once, she is a driver.

Thanks for the thread Mark, brings back fond memories.