what are you working on this weekend ?

jim capozzi

hi all ,

ok theres the question , whats everyone doing this weekend ? woodworking related is great , but if you've got something else going on lets hear that too :D :wave:

this is what i knocked together today so far .... its p..p.. pi..
oh heck connifer :rofl::rofl: i forgot how it is to work with this stuff , i still don't care for it .......but it does make the shop smell good for awhile :D

its going to be a bed for a furry friend of mine (black lab) . its 30 x 50" , i think it should be big enough to stretch out in. the dogs owner is making the mattress out of 4 inch foam.

Attachments

• dog bed 1.jpg
    dog bed 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 33
  • dog bed 2.jpg
    dog bed 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25
  • dog bed 3.jpg
    dog bed 3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 26
planing and cutiin

some stock for a couple of cedar chests i have to make by the end of july or B4 so i know what wood odor is today too,,, my partner left to much noise for him:) and he dont like cedar chips either.

Gee Grizzz, your furry friend is reallllllllly going to like her new bed. I think it is the best looking bed a dog could have! Oh, what a great job on the dovetails :thumb: and what a fancy looking base too :D

I've got some new green wood that just arrived, so I'll be trying to get some rough turning done tonight. I've also got a new prototype tool from Randy at Monster Tools that I want to test drive in the process. ;)

Aside from that, I've got the typical weekend yard and house chores, and a pile of "work" work that I need to have finished before the end of the weekend.

Celebrated my Dad's 80th birthday today by taking him out to dinner. But first we went out to his woods to a huge pecan tree that we dropped a year ago that we are still milling into boards. That stuff is hard as a rock, but beautiful figure and grain patterns. At any rate, I hope when I turn 80 I'm out in the woods still swinging a Stihl as he was today.

Well, we're half way through it, but here goes...
My plans were to get the metal frame from my outfeed table stripped and primed. Did a little better, got 2 coats of finish sprayed on it also! Had to work on the lawn mower (wouldn't start) then mow the yard. Piddled in the shop for a while doing nothing. Got cleaned up and LOML came in about 7:30 from back yard poop patrol and said we had a problem with the tree limb into the electrical feed wire from the pole again. I just cut a bunch off of it 2 weeks ago. Well, she found out why it was into it the first time...the limb, about 18' long from the tree trunk, and about 18' off the ground, is split. The limb is dropping. I got all of it past the line cut off, then cut back away from the line about 5', then ran out of ladder. I'll either need to get a 12' step ladder to get the rest (won't be cheap), or hire a tree trimmer. LOML was just on a jury with a trimmer, so may see what he would charge to take the limb off back to the trunk.
Anyone want some 8" cedar elm to turn? :rolleyes: Oh, and not sure what tomorrow will be, except to take the 2 soon to be 13 year old dogs out for an early birthday outing of chicken strips at the park. Jim.

Trying to finish a project from a couple weeks ago... We couldn't decide on the color of the paint for the upper slanted and flat ceiling of our living room. It has what they call a "tray ceiling". Painted a patch, didn't like it. Pinch of this paint and a pinch of that..... Nope. I finally mixed a color adding white to the "Almost Olive" green we have on the walls, liked it, then had the local paint company make a gallon.

Used an extension bar to paint and got it done....

Now this weekend....to finish up. Bought several styles of crown molding at Lowes, brought back and held up to the wall/ceiling. Finally decided on an egg/cove pattern and picked up 8 x 8' sections. Got them painted and ready to go.

Measured up from the chair rail, snapped a caulk line, marked the studs, measured the corner angles and off I went.

With the Tray Ceiling, the place where the wall meets the slanted ceiling, has an angle of about 120°, +/- 2~3° (depending on the framing carpenter):rolleyes:

The sheet rock guys add to the "challenge"..... With each corner different, each miter different, the molding back comes cut at 52°/38°.....:eek: I got to know well, and appreciate my little Lie-Nielsen block plane.... Tha back of the couch, covered with a paint tarp, became my work bench. Any hard surface would mar the "eggs" on the front of the molding.

I have most of it done, except one last corner. Tomorrow will be final touch-up, caulking, wall paint touch-up and I should be done!

Boy Greg, I sure don't envy you and all the overhead work. (It's looking good, though.) I'm thinking of contracting out the exterior trim paint on our house this summer. With my back, I'm just not looking forward to painting the eaves. Jury's still out though...I've got to see what it'll cost. (Plus, we need to get the rain gutters removed and replaced. That's another one I don't figure I'll do myself.)

I'm going to get fired from FW, haven't made any sawdust or shavings in weeks. Other stuff has gotten in way. Lately, I have been working on our new camper trailer. Yesterday was spent casting lead round balls for shooting from our muzzle loading rifles. Today, even with my aching back, I'll be replacing the 'P' tube under our bathroom sink with a clear plastic model that has a knob and cleaning device built inside. We have constant problems with hair, and whatever, clogging up the sink. This new invention seems like a great solution.

A pergola on the back patio. Yuck, construction stuff in near 100 degree temps. Did manage two new tools out of this one, though, a framing nailer and a hammer drill.:)

I'm going to get fired from FW, haven't made any sawdust or shavings in weeks. Other stuff has gotten in way. Lately, I have been working on our new camper trailer. Yesterday was spent casting lead round balls for shooting from our muzzle loading rifles. Today, even with my aching back, I'll be replacing the 'P' tube under our bathroom sink with a clear plastic model that has a knob and cleaning device built inside. We have constant problems with hair, and whatever, clogging up the sink. This new invention seems like a great solution.

Sounds neat Frank, and I'll vouch for you that you're really a woodworker. As for you not making any sawdust lately; Heck, if I'm still here with my lack of real projects... you're doing fine!:thumb:

The only shop time I had this weekend was about 1 hour doing basic clean up.:( Right after mowing the lawn in the morning.
I run the lighting/audio/video for our church. We had a wedding yesterday which meant I needed to be there from about 2 though 7, then today it was my turn to do the sound & lighting at early service and video at late service. Then, one of the young ladies on my AV team had her graduation party. Between church and the party I've been going from 7 AM till just a little while ago - about 5 PM. It's rewarding and fulfilling work, but boy can it eat up time! Just so the time is well spent, I'll spend the last hour or so of the day watching reruns of Norm.:D:rofl:

The only shop time I had this weekend was about 1 hour doing basic clean up.:( Right after mowing the lawn in the morning.
I run the lighting/audio/video for our church. We had a wedding yesterday which meant I needed to be there from about 2 though 7, then today it was my turn to do the sound & lighting at early service and video at late service. Then, one of the young ladies on my AV team had her graduation party. Between church and the party I've been going from 7 AM till just a little while ago - about 5 PM. It's rewarding and fulfilling work, but boy can it eat up time! Just so the time is well spent, I'll spend the last hour or so of the day watching reruns of Norm.:D:rofl:

When the sound guys at our church do anything special like weddings and such (anything other than the morning service) they usually get paid something for their time. I hope that's the case with you Rennie. The laborer is worthy of his reward.

Finish up the 2nd of my wall hung shop cabinets and start painting them.

Oh...and yardwork......SWMBO leaves Tuesday bright and early and she'll want the place looking tidy when she goes. That means I'll be spending time in the yard.

When the sound guys at our church do anything special like weddings and such (anything other than the morning service) they usually get paid something for their time. I hope that's the case with you Rennie. The laborer is worthy of his reward.
We do charge if the bride and groom are non-members as part of the fee for renting the chapel, clean up, etc. For members of our congregation we do it with no expectations of payment.

I got to work on my new lathe a bit. There was a woodturning open house at one of the woodworking schools here in Atlanta, I spent the morning there and realized I should take some lessons to develop good habits. I also spent some time cleaning and sharpening my tools.

Next weekend I'm going to Kelly Mehler's school to take a weekend class on handplanes with Chris Schwartz. I'm excited to be going - I love the school (have been 2X b/4) and I really like doing handwork more and more. I have that luxury as woodworking is a hobby for me.

Still working on that 1912 Model T Ford Towncar. Hanging doors modified from a 1912 Model T Touring Car...

P1030407.jpg

P1030408.jpg

I spoke before about bending wood (lamination of 1/8" Oak strips) to form the bottom and leading edge. Fit like a latex glove :thumb:

Heck, if I'm still here with my lack of real projects... you're doing fine!:thumb:

Sorry to jump on you Ned, but do you mean that all your projects are imaginary?? So you use imaginary woods and imaginary tools to make imaginary shavings and wood dust. :;);)

More seriously, what do you exactly understand for "real projects" projects are that until they become a "reality" under your hands. No matter if they are home DIY repairs or fantastic pieces of furniture.