PurpleHeart Jolly Roger

Kevin Vernon

This is a Birthday Present for a "Turning 10" li'l girl who is a Pirates of the Caribbean FREAK. :D

The base, or "Flag" portion is simply 1/4" ply, covered in black Felt.

The Skull & Crossbones, or "Jolly Roger" section is scrollsawed from 3/4" Purpleheart - and man, lemme tell ya, that stuff is HARD - DENSE - HEAVY. :eek:

Now, seeing as how Pirates were not particularly known for the prcision of their work, I wanted this thing to look a bit "rough" - so, I found a skull & crossbones design I liked, printed it sized to fit the 6" wide board I had acquired, glued it down & proceeded to cut the thing out with my scroll saw.

I used a 3/8" roundover bit to ease most of the edges, including the eye sockets, but left the "teeth" just as the squared edge of the board came - keeping with my "Rough" theme, I sanded it smooth - well sort of - with the 60 grit on my belt sander....and left it that way, sanding scratches showing along with the grain.

Following some finishing advice for PurpleHeart that I found here and on some of the other boards, I misted the rough-sanded wood lightly with ArmorAll, as a UV shield, and then gave it one heavy, sloppy, gloppy coat of urethane Spar Varnish - again, in keeping with my "Rough Look" theme, I deliberately just kind of slopped it on.

All in all, I really like how it looks - and I must admit the photos don't do it justice.

2559730327_fbe96f8d90.jpg

Pepsi Can included for scale reference:

2560552030_aa2f8e7d64.jpg

And a closer shot of just the Skull:

2560551826_536a46a40c.jpg

Thanks for looking, gang - and thanks for the help.

-Kevin in Indy (She's gonna LOVE it!) :wave:

Last edited:
That should be a big hit with a pirate freak. Very cool.

And I like the way you got the Pepsi can to stick to the wall like that. Very clever. :p

That should be a big hit with a pirate freak. Very cool.

And I like the way you got the Pepsi can to stick to the wall like that. Very clever. :p

And it didn't even spill! :D

Now, seeing as how Pirates were not particularly known for the prcision of their work,

Uh oh... Kevin, if you need a place to hide from Chuck, let us know. ;)

Seriously, great job. She will love it, I'm sure!

--MJ

Sticking the Pepsi can to the wall - Easy - my Anti-Gravity Generator is fully functional. :rofl:

As far as the spelling & "hiding from Chuck" - I speak read & write FLUENT typo. :D

And did the Li'l Pirate Girl love her Jolly Roger?

2564223242_3e1792b3fa.jpg

You Betcha!!:thumb:

The Girlies also had skulls to decorate for the party, cut on the scroll saw from some scrap pine blanks....

2563322587_eac5854425.jpg

....They were also a big hit.

BIG fun was had by all. :wave:

-Kevin in Indy