Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain!!!!

Rain!!!!

Well, this was a weekend I'd just as soon forget.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	21231

This was about 1 PM Saturday afternoon. I think this is what they call a wall cloud. Tornado sirens had just gone off and within 5 minutes of my taking this picture we got slammed. No tornado, but straight line winds in excess of 50 MPH and rain so hard you couldn't see 50 yards.

During this first event we got 2-1/2 inches in little more than a half hour. That was not the end of it though. It pretty much rained all weekend, although the wind and tornado threat diminished.

After another 1/2 inch overnight we now stand at 9 inches since it started Saturday.

Flooding is widespread [I have no worry as I live on top of a hill] and a lot of dams are in danger of failing. It looks like we will get a little reprieve today to let things dry out a bit, but we're not out of the woods.

The front has moved east a bit and now those of you in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan are under the gun. Good luck and stay dry.

Karl

Hey Karl. 9inches?

We had a 1/2hr+ solid torrential downpour yesterday late afternoon - tornado warnings also for us in Southwest Ontario, but haven't heard if any formed. This was also that sort of low visibility stuff that you mention.

Still, we didn't get anywhere the rain that you got. Our rain guage only showed 1/4in, which I think just isn't right. I wonder if these home-quality rain guages can't handle it when it comes down in torrents and don't measure accurately.

best,
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Well, one of the advantages of living in a well designed concrete jungle, and on top of a hill, when it rains, man does it >> rain <<

Here in the city, we seldom get rain that causes flooding, but in the countryside, yeah, they get a lot of flooding.

Sure glad you live on top of a hill Karl.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Karl, I have a lot of family in the greater Milwaukee area and they have been hit hard too, several have flooding in the basement. I really feel for you and your neighbors - its a dreadful feeling when all you can do is wait for the water to receed. God bless and stay dry.

- Norb

well i am hoping

for some more rain so i can get another free shower, been playin in the mud this wknd and today too, no power at the real job so i get shop time so if it rains again which it is supposed to i can get another free shower and the rain guages do work,,art the weather guys said that my area and some of the surrounding areas had over 6 inches of rain .. so we got alitte damp
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hopefully when the rain makes it this way it'll get rid of the humidity.

Karl, same problems here in IA...no rain until tuesday night they are saying, but areas to the north got pounded over the weekend and that water will be here in Des Moines, when the next storms get here...could be a long week and/or summer!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I sure hope that rain stays north of Indianapolis. There is unbelievable flooding south of Indy--probably the worst flooding in 100 years. Since 2YK Indiana has had 3 major floods--I lost a cousin in one of them. The weather report is calling for some of the flooded areas to get 2 to 4 additional inches of rain tonight.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Just thought I'd let any of you familiar with the Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton area know that Lake Delton is no more.

The lake drained into the Wisconsin River earlier today taking several homes and a bunch of boats. These homes and boats are heading for the Mississippi via the Wisconsin. ETA at the Mississippi is unknown as there are several dams along the way.

Anyone interested can go to one or all of the following links for video as well as pics.

www.nbc15.com

www.wkow.madison.com

www.channel3000.com

I just saw we made the NBC Nightly News too.

Karl

Wow. You guys in that part of the country stay safe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com