Rain!!!!

Karl Laustrup

Well, this was a weekend I'd just as soon forget. :(
IMG_1411.jpg

This was about 1 PM Saturday afternoon. I think this is what they call a wall cloud. Tornado sirens had just gone off and within 5 minutes of my taking this picture we got slammed. No tornado, but straight line winds in excess of 50 MPH and rain so hard you couldn't see 50 yards.

During this first event we got 2-1/2 inches in little more than a half hour. That was not the end of it though. It pretty much rained all weekend, although the wind and tornado threat diminished.

After another 1/2 inch overnight we now stand at 9 inches :eek: since it started Saturday.

Flooding is widespread [I have no worry as I live on top of a hill] and a lot of dams are in danger of failing. It looks like we will get a little reprieve today to let things dry out a bit, but we're not out of the woods.

The front has moved east a bit and now those of you in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan are under the gun. Good luck and stay dry.

Karl

Hey Karl. 9inches? :eek:

We had a 1/2hr+ solid torrential downpour yesterday late afternoon - tornado warnings also for us in Southwest Ontario, but haven't heard if any formed. This was also that sort of low visibility stuff that you mention.

Still, we didn't get anywhere the rain that you got. Our rain guage only showed 1/4in, which I think just isn't right. I wonder if these home-quality rain guages can't handle it when it comes down in torrents and don't measure accurately.

best,
...art

Well, one of the advantages of living in a well designed concrete jungle, and on top of a hill, when it rains, man does it >> rain <<

Here in the city, we seldom get rain that causes flooding, but in the countryside, yeah, they get a lot of flooding.

Sure glad you live on top of a hill Karl.

Cheers!

Karl, I have a lot of family in the greater Milwaukee area and they have been hit hard too, several have flooding in the basement. I really feel for you and your neighbors - its a dreadful feeling when all you can do is wait for the water to receed. God bless and stay dry.

- Norb

well i am hoping

:rolleyes: for some more rain so i can get another free shower, been playin in the mud this wknd and today too, no power at the real job so i get shop time:D so if it rains again which it is supposed to i can get another free shower and the rain guages do work,,art the weather guys said that my area and some of the surrounding areas had over 6 inches of rain .. so we got alitte damp:wave:

Karl, same problems here in IA...no rain until tuesday night they are saying, but areas to the north got pounded over the weekend and that water will be here in Des Moines, when the next storms get here...could be a long week and/or summer!

I sure hope that rain stays north of Indianapolis. There is unbelievable flooding south of Indy--probably the worst flooding in 100 years. Since 2YK Indiana has had 3 major floods--I lost a cousin in one of them. The weather report is calling for some of the flooded areas to get 2 to 4 additional inches of rain tonight.

Just thought I'd let any of you familiar with the Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton area know that Lake Delton is no more. :eek:

The lake drained into the Wisconsin River earlier today taking several homes and a bunch of boats. These homes and boats are heading for the Mississippi via the Wisconsin. ETA at the Mississippi is unknown as there are several dams along the way.

Anyone interested can go to one or all of the following links for video as well as pics.

www.nbc15.com

www.wkow.madison.com

www.channel3000.com

I just saw we made the NBC Nightly News too.

Karl

wow Karl, I can't believe a whole lake is gone.

We got hammered on Friday night with 5 inches of rain overnight, I wokeup to a flooded corn field, a 30 foot section of my driveway washed out and the sand washed out from part of the concrete in my barn. Concrete slab is about 8" up in the air unsupported, I need to get that shored up. I was able to fix the driveway using my John Deere 3020 and backblade.....nothing runs like a Deere!...and I'm glad I have it.

Saturday afternoon we got it again, rains and 80 m.p,h. winds just north of here. I took a ride today and saw lots of snapped trees....big ones....pine, maple, walnut.....snapped like toothpicks.

Thank God my corn field is tiled and most of the Lake has drained into the drainage ditches which should spare the corn from a loss.

I think we have enough rain for a while now.