Some New to Me Chisels

Stuart Ablett

Won these on auction tonight.......

eight_chisels_1.jpg eight_chisels_2.jpg eight_chisels_3.jpg eight_chisels_4.jpg

eight_chisels_5.jpg eight_chisels_6.jpg eight_chisels_7.jpg eight_chisels_8.jpg

Funny, when I find something I like/want on auction, I figure out, what the max is I'd bid for it, and I put that in as my bid. In this case, I figured $10 or so for each chisel would be a GREAT deal, as all of these look to be perfectly usable, and for about $10 each, you cannot buy much of anything, so I bid $80, and the guy selling them (a used good shop) had his price for shipping to Tokyo, about $10, so I put my highest bid in and let it rip.

Our auctions here in Japan on Yahoo do not have the "Sniping" problem, if someone bids in the last 10 minutes of the auction, the timer on the auction is reset to 10 minutes. Well some guy was letting the auction run down to 10 seconds or so, and then bidding another dollar :doh:I had already set my high price of $80, so I would automatically out bid him a dollar, then the timer would be reset at 10 minutes......... the other guy did this from about $40 right up to $75 where he finally gave up. I was checking in to see if I'd won or not and I kept seeing the bid rise by a buck a bid, and and 10 minutes to the auction, and I can tell, the he would let the timer run down to something like 10 seconds, and bid again, then wait 9 minutes and 50 seconds and bid again..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this went on for something like TWO HOURS :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was working in the shop, so I was not glued to the computer, waiting for my 9 minutes and 50 seconds only to bid a buck :D:D

Funny as all get out to me, some people just have spare time I guess. I put my top bid in and walk away, best way to do these auction things.

Should make some nice users, I'm going to keep a couple, but the rest a buddy will take.

Cheers! :wave:

Last edited:
Good deal Stu.!

Bidding on ebay is like that, that guy must have built up a lot of frustration after being hooked up on the computer for two hours:rofl::rofl: What a waste of time!

I wonder if after that he just threw the monitor against the wall:rofl::rofl:

I hope the guy just figured out how to NOT bid :D

Maybe I should check to see if he is bidding on a monitor :rofl: :rofl:

I got the chisels today, boy, am I blown away :eek:

chisels_june_2008_01.jpg
Some of these things are MONSTERS :D
The one in the very middle is one of my normal sized "Bench Chisels", it is dwarfed by most of the new ones. Even the smaller ones in the new batch of chisels are much heftier than the "normal" bench chisel I have. These are truly "pro" tools.

chisels_june_2008_02.jpg
Here are two of the longest ones, compared to my regular bench chisel, these things are more than 12" long :thumb: Some nice sized pig stickers eh :D

I'm really pleased, even my wife could see that there were certainly quality tools, the one in the first pic, second from the left, that has been sharpened a lot, it came out of the package "Sharp", I could shave the hair on my arm, no problem. Yep, some real keepers here!

My buddy is going to be pleased!:)

Good looking se tof chisels Stu. And the price can't be beat. The hefty ones are called tataki nomi, which means pounding chisels. I also bought some tataki nomi off Yahoo once and was quite surprised at their heft. That's so funny about the other bidder. :wave: