Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alas, poor Yorick!

Alas, poor Yorick!

Well, another icon of my younger years has fallen by the wayside to choke out its last moments of life in the drainage ditch of time.

The LOML and I try to get out at least twice per year to a forest service cabin or fire tower for a few nights of total relaxation. (the fire towers are the most fun!) Most do not have any electricity, gas, or running water. We like to take along some of our classical music to play in the background while we read, rest, or just look out at the scenery.

For some weeks now I've been scouring the Walmarts, Shopkos, Costcos, KMarts, et.al. in vain for something that was once ubiquitous - a portable radio.

It seems that these little gems have fallen prey to the millions of iPods and their offshoots that now reek permanent damage on the eardrums of the 'civilized' world. In a way this is good. Few things were more annoying than going to the beach and having to listen to what someone else 10 'towels' away though was good music. Never-the-less, finding a "boom box" small enough to pack for camping, with decent tone for under $80, seems impossible. I may have to break down and get an iPod as there seems to be lots of devices around for them to plug into for more 'public' listening.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Or you could just sing a serande to her and maybe she could chime in and you could have duet rennie
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Or you could just sing a serande to her and maybe she could chime in and you could have duet rennie
    Or, she might leave me for good!

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie,

Visit you neighborhood Radio Shack. I needed a battery power radio to test the RF integrity of an MR scan room. I bought one at Radio Shack for about $40. It's pretty good and it also had SSB IIRC. They had a several models to select from. They had them cheaper and more expensive. They were small ...hand held and operated on 9 v batteries.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Rennie,

Visit you neighborhood Radio Shack. I needed a battery power radio to test the RF integrity of an MR scan room. I bought one at Radio Shack for about $40. It's pretty good and it also had SSB IIRC. They had a several models to select from. They had them cheaper and more expensive. They were small ...hand held and operated on 9 v batteries.
    Hmmmm. just got back from there - only two models left on the shelf. Neither one worth getting excited over. I'll check their web site.

www.wrworkshop.com

If you wish I can buy one here and send it to you but most problably with postage and everything will be prohibitive.

What about getting one of those so called in my youth a "getto blaster"

Depending on the music you played on it you could frighten away any wild life 2 miles around your tower, but the it would be the same as staying in the city
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    If you wish I can buy one here and send it to you but most problably with postage and everything will be prohibitive.

What about getting one of those so called in my youth a "getto blaster"

Depending on the music you played on it you could frighten away any wild life 2 miles around your tower, but the it would be the same as staying in the city
    Thanks for the offer Toni, but I'm afraid you're right - it would be cost prohibitive. BTW - Boom Box and Ghetto Blaster are synomonous.

I checked out the Radio Shack site - bigger selection - I'm just hesitant to buy without first hearing what it sounds like.

www.wrworkshop.com

Check out C Crane company.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/index.aspx

They might be a little spendy, but most of the radios you would buy at radio shack or wally world do not have very good reception.

C Crane models supposedly have good reception and sound.

I bought a multi band radio from Radio shack several years ago and am just waiting for it to break so I can get a CC Radio...

It has ok recpetion, but it's not that great.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Or you could do it my way. No music, no noise at all whenever possible. Our camper will not have a TV. The radio will only be on in the event of threatening weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    right - BTW - Boom Box and Ghetto Blaster are synomonous.
    Thanks Rennie, you see this is why I like this forum, I learn new things every day.
    No matter wether they are woodworking related or language related!
    Now I Know how to spell correctly "ghetto" and the meaning of Boom Box.
    Thanks again

Just a question if I may. Do you have to look for fires when you're up there? I mean is this some sort of voluntary service in exchange for letting you stay there? If so shoudn't you have a walkie-talkie or a radio to commnicate at least to warn the firebrigade.?
    We do have those towers here but we are not allowed to use them, not even in winter when the risk of fires is low and they are empty.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...