Tool Prices on the Rise

glenn bradley

Many of you probably read this from Bob Hunter at Wood magazine but, just in case . . .

"Buy tools and machinery now! In the past week I’ve talked with top-level people at the major woodworking tool manufacturers (Delta/Porter-Cable/DeWalt, Grizzly/Shop Fox, Jet/Powermatic, General International, Steel City and others), and each one gave me the same message to pass on to you, the woodworking consumer. Prices have gone up a noticeable jump already this year, but they say we should expect much larger price increases—either in one leap or several smaller ones, possibly as much as 25%—by the end of 2008."

Just what I need. Another excuse to go buy tools NOW!!!

I seriously believe I'm stocked on major power tools for now. Never thought I'd be saying that, but I honestly don't think I have room for more without getting rid of some first.

I seriously believe I'm stocked on major power tools for now. Never thought I'd be saying that, but I honestly don't think I have room for more without getting rid of some first.

Not bragging, but same deal here. Not only would I have to remove major tools to fit another one in, but I've been upgrading and building my shop for many years, and I am finally at the point where I am pretty much there. Even managed to squeeze in Shopbots smallest CNC in the back corner. Only exception would be upgrading my 8 inch jointer to a 12 inch some day as I mill my own lumber and have a lot of wide rough stuff. However, not going to go out and do that right now just because it might be couple hundred bucks more next year. Never liked being pressured into something, even if it was for my own good... just my nature.

I'm a 'mee too' on that. No more major tools. In fact, I need to sell my Terrco to make room for a couple I already have. But, I will be keeping my eyes open for a good used table saw at a bargain price.

I agree totally with Vaughn, like, he's so right on! :rofl:

About the only major tool I'd still like is a drum / wide belt sander and right now there just isn't space for it anyway.

Its probably going to push the price of used quality tools up a few notches also.
The only thing I have on my list I really want is a router table, and Id start with a benchtop version anyway, so I keep watching for a used one around me locally.

Its probably going to push the price of used quality tools up a few notches also.
The only thing I have on my list I really want is a router table, and Id start with a benchtop version anyway, so I keep watching for a used one around me locally.
Having had a benchtop router table before upgrading (twice) to a table in the extension wing of my table saw, I'd suggest saving the money you'd spend on a benchtop and getting something more substantial. If you have the room, you can add a simple table on the side of your table saw for a pretty small investment. (Less than I spent on a Craftsman benchtop router table, before I knew better.) ;) My current setup is a simple Rockler extension wing with a Hitachi M12V and a Router Raiser. The Rockler table was on sale for about what it would have cost me to build it myself. I have an Incra TSIII on the table saw, so it does double duty when I need a fence on the router table. Most of my router table work is simple roundovers though, so I don't really need the fence.

So, this is a long way of saying if you can skip the benchtop router table (and even perhaps make your own bigger one), you'll be money ahead.

Allen,

I got this table, top, insert and Incra Wonder Fence for $175 on craigslist.

You should be able to find something at a good price if you check around...and often. :thumb:

Amazon has a Freud router table fence on sale for $100. I built my own router table, as I'm sure many of use here have. If you're buliding your own for use just as a router table, a 2' by 4' footprint using reasonably straight framing lumber (i.e. 2 by 4s) and a quarter sheet of MDF perhaps on top of a quarter sheet of plywood will work fine. Jointed and planed framing lumber that started reasonably straight will be even better.

I don't have a good picture of just the router table, but it is the thing to the right of the radial arm saw in the pics in this thread. Later in the thread, a lathe becomes attached at the "back" of the router table. My router table is approximately 4' square. There's a story behind this.

Before I decided to jump into "woodworking" I had made a 4' by 8' table from framing lumber for my (at the time) miniatures wargaming hobby. When I started to get into woodworking I figured I'd just throw a full sheet of 3/4" MDF on top of this and have a router table. (As an aside, asking my wife to help me get the MDF sheet onto the table frame was the single closest moment we have ever come to no longer being a couple - find some burly guy friends to help with full sheets of MDF! :doh: ) Then we moved and I cut the table top in half because it was just too much. That's why I have a 4' square router table. This table is also used as a workbench / assembly table (and, since recently, a home for the lathe) so it is good that it is big. It is coplanar with the RAS tabletop too.

My end point of this rambling is to assess your shop needs and make a router table consistent with them - you don't need to slavishly build a Norm style router table if a big behemoth 4' by 8' table with a router dropped in it somewhere would suit your needs better. Maybe you already have a table that you could drop in a Rouseau (or other brand) router table insert to get started.

I have run out of room to put another table in the garage.
I have to lift and move the table saw every day, and breakdown the mitre saw stand and put it away if Im parking in the garage.
I figured a tabletop router table, I could store it underneath my work bench, and put it on top when I need it.
Im really pressed for space.

"breakdown the mitre saw stand and put it away if I'm parking in the garage."

Garage? What in the world is that? ;)

Don't tell me you park your car in your shop!!??! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

my daughter came home from buffalo with her boyfriend for the summer.
I now have 6 cars parked on my driveway every night, I need the garage space for my car.
Id have no problem telling her boyfriend to get rid of his truck so I can get a router table, but it might cause some friction.

I have run out of room to put another table in the garage. I have to lift and move the table saw every day, and breakdown the mitre saw stand and put it away if Im parking in the garage.
I figured a tabletop router table, I could store it underneath my work bench, and put it on top when I need it.
Im really pressed for space.
My table saw has a full width, full time, outfield table. More than I need and a bit impractical. A router table is on my short list - already have some of the parts. Time to think about a smaller, part time, outfield table. Make Room!!

"breakdown the mitre saw stand and put it away if I'm parking in the garage."

Garage? What in the world is that? ;)

Don't tell me you park your car in your shop!!??! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I seriously believe I'm stocked on major power tools for now.

I have been saying that for a close to year and I get laughed at when I stay that. :huh: But I am. I need to finish up my bandsaw and order bits for the Mortiser, but I don't have anything on my radar.

I can't speak for what most of you call used, but I suspect your right. Old Arn is and has been feeling it for a while. With scrap iron prices like they are, suddenly these big old machines have some scrap value. With gas prices a lot of these guys are not quick to jump in a truck and save some old piece either.

I have heard of several old machines that were headed to the scrapper unless someone wanted it for the going scrap rates. So no doubt new stuff will feel the pinch too.