this is why woodworking for profit for me isnt going to work

(the chairs dont come with the cushion or the model for 200 bucks)[/QUOTE]

so how much more for the extras allen:) i know where your coming from got a project in the works that the hourly rate doesnt pay the bills.. but it does keep me outa trouble:)

ok, blame rennie, he asked, and whether he was serious or not, heres the pictures of how I forced myself to do this today.

Good news is I found a 50 year old maple doll cradle I saved 20 years ago when my step sister threw it out even though her dad made it for her kid.
After he died, the base cracked, it was pretty much disgusting and gone.
I took it out of the garbage, many years ago, tried to redo it.
Now Ill resand and refinish it a bit better. dont know why, but its too nice to discard. found it way up in the rafters of the garage while looking for a fan.

anyway, heres some pics of how I put them together.

mostly eagle eyed the entire assembly.(every piece is routed, rounded over for looks and safety before assembly)

assemble the base, assemble the arms, attach the arms, makes sure its level, and if its not, so what, who cares, dont matter. Lay in the center back slat, again, center, then straighten out using eagle eye method, if its off, so what, who cares, looks good anyway.
Then put on the small back slats, then eagle eye the two longer back slats, even spacing, attach the rear and front seat slats, then eagle eye out the spacing of the rest of them. No measuring spacing, just look at it, and say, yeah, good.
And if a slat for some reason is too wide(cant figure that out), so what, thats why someone invented a rubber mallet. Slam that sucker right down and put in the screws. Noone knows except you guys now.

When Im done, I take a quick walk around, like a car, check for screws sticking out, usually never, but ya never know. Then the taste test, sit in it and make sure in 10 minutes under a tree in shade, I can fall fast asleep and I know its a winner. I pull thearms about 1/2 inch closer to the front of the assembly then recommended because I find the angle of the back much more comforting then it leaning slightly further backwards. Just my taste, but everyone agrees.(and if they dont, thats ok, also, who cares)

I sit my rather large frame into the chair, and i hold my breath for a few seconds, waiting for the thing to crumble. when Im still ok, I know its ok to sell or give away.
Ill sand off the screw shavings and sand it smoother wherever the body touches the wood.Heres the pictures for rennie.(alot of chairs I use 2x6s and 2x4s for the straight and diagonal legs)

Attachments

• Tiki 275 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 275 (Medium).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 21
  • Tiki 276 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 276 (Medium).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Tiki 277 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 277 (Medium).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Tiki 278 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 278 (Medium).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 17
  • Tiki 279 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 279 (Medium).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Tiki 280 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 280 (Medium).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Tiki 281 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 281 (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
ok, blame rennie, he asked, and whether he was serious or not, heres the pictures of how I forced myself to do this today.
)
:eek: Guilty as charged.:D
Thanks Allen. I'm amazed at how quickly you can put these together. I built two out of redwood a few years ago and I think I spent two full weekends on them. :eek::rofl:

I didnt spend the entire day today on them. I was hanging out with my daughter a bit, had lunch with the wife and daughter, and I even finished cutting, and routing the mahogany chair, which Ill assemble either later or tomorrow.
I want to get busy on that one, I need to stain it and varnish it.
I loved working with the mahogany, easy to cut, clean cuts.

Ill start torturing myself with the eeepay (ipe) next week.I I want to change all the blades in my saws first.

*I also save a ton of time cutting everything together, routing together, and assembling .
To show how foolish and unexperienced I am, it wasnt until recently, I discovered my jigsaw actually had a base that allowed me to turn it to 30degrees. I was cutting a piece of 2x4, at 30 degrees, on the mitre saw, then hotglueing it to the base of my jigsaw, and one day I noticed the base was loose, so I tightened it, and voila, it tilts!

Last edited:
I didnt spend the entire day today on them. I was hanging out with my daughter a bit, had lunch with the wife and daughter, and I even finished cutting, and routing the mahogany chair, which *I also save a ton of time cutting everything together, routing together, and assembling .
To show how foolish and unexperienced I am, it wasnt until recently, I discovered my jigsaw actually had a base that allowed me to turn it to 30degrees. I was cutting a piece of 2x4, at 30 degrees, on the mitre saw, then hotglueing it to the base of my jigsaw, and one day I noticed the base was loose, so I tightened it, and voila, it tilts!

oh allen never and i mean never tell stories like this here,, you will be ribed for along time...:rofl:

ok, moving on.

the pink mahogany chair. I have no clue how to finish it.
Tried a sample with BLO to see how much grain would come out, eh.
I dont want to stain it anymore. Its just so clean looking.
Great to work with, fabulous to work with.

And if someone can answer me how to finish, maybe they could make a suggestion on this maple cradle also.
Does maple take any finishes?(I think its maple)

I have to take a few days off, Im having issues with leg cramping. Drinking water constantly, doesnt seem to help.

and for rennie, so he doesnt use all his extra plywood,, Ill stop posting pics of what I build after today.:D

Attachments

• Tiki 284 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 284 (Medium).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Tiki 285 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 285 (Medium).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Tiki 282 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 282 (Medium).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Tiki 286 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 286 (Medium).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 20
Bush Oil for a finish? It's kind of supporting your local economy-ish, as Mr. Bush is in the Albany area. It's a 1/3 BLO, tung oil and urethane mix - you could then add some poly clear coats on top for added protection.

From your last post I hope ya ain't getting stiffed on the cash.

this is new to me, do I just mix them all together? Does it make a difference if its gloss or satin finish? will my garage explode if I mix it incorrectly?

the payment is good, but I wanted to enjoy the work a bit more than pt lumber.
Im not getting paid in green dollars, its a barter.

Allen I decided early on that I would never sell any of my work after watching a friend of mine (deisel mechanic) build lamps and various boxes to sell at our town's annual day in the park. The only reason I was not right in the middle of it was that my wife's due date of our son's birth was right at the time when he decided on this venture. At first it was so painful watching him begin turning the miniature baseball bats used for the lamps not ot mention design and build keepsake boxes from beautiful hardwoods from a newly discovered local source. But as the days went by and the time drew nigh his anxiety level increased, long workdays were followed by long work nights until finally the day came...his gross sales totalled about $500. Net income about $400 (forgot to mention our new source of those hardwoods was also FREE- burn pile at local co specializing in cabinet and trim work). Anyway, at the day in the park some people were very complimentary of his work and some very ....well rudely critical about his asking prices. I noticed that if they first commented on the price almost without fail would come a remark about some perceived flaw in craftsmanship. Yep, before it was over I made up my mind that I would only build pieces for myself, family and friends... or needy if I catch wind of it. You see once someone is expected to reach into their pocket to pay for your work then you work for them. With this comes this urgency / time expectations thing as well as the feelings such as "I have to go out to the shop and work on ..." instead of thoughts during the workday of "relaxing in my shop with my latest project" Everytime I complete a stool for one of my friends daughters or a toy truck for my favorite nephew, chessboard for my niece, tunnel for my son's train set I have no fear or worries that the gift will be appreciated and perhaps even cherished for a lifetime. Simply put, if I feel as though I have to do it then it is no longer a hobby, if I'm getting paid for it then it is a job. I could foresee how easy avoiding that second "job" would become and feared ultimately keeping me from the true joy of my life's work.

Right on Kenneth.

I've been 'volunteered' to do some computer things for folks in the past, and like woodworking, those who don't do it can't really appreciate the time and effort that 'simple' things take.

Right on Kenneth.

I've been 'volunteered' to do some computer things for folks in the past, and like woodworking, those who don't do it can't really appreciate the time and effort that 'simple' things take.

you mean you cant just punch a button and its done or move the mouse and click its done? thats what the boss and the customers think in my trade:huh: and we all know the customer is always right;)

I was up to all hours of the night last night, and I know the neighbors arent happy. I made sure no more routers where making noise by mindnight.

Got up really early today, and now Im off to nap, since I have that sweet sixteen tonight, the one I made that eisle for.

I started on my new idea, and I know I promised no more pics, but Id like a bit of input from some of the craftsmen here.
I wanted to do something Ive never seen, not yet at least, and Ive seen 1000s of pics of adirondack chairs.
I wanted to put a retractable/roll up ottoman built into the chair.
I need a simple way to work it, and cut and design.

Using a method I picked up from Mr. Bradley, I made a jig using my router guides and a 3/4 dado blade.

I have no clue how to get an accurate curve I need, a very slight one, so I bent a piece of plywood over a block, and nailed it down equal lengths apart.
I drew the curve, cut out from 5/8th board, and made a simple jig along the lines of the dado jig mr Bradley introduced me too.
I didnt make it adjustable, since Im going to make only one size dado.
I cut the curved part of the legs , and used that in the jig, to hold the jig exactly over the leg exact.
Clamped down another piece of wood same width as leg to use the router, handheld, and got a nice slight curved dado inside the leg of the chair.
I then used the same curve to cut out slat supports that will be screwed on the bottom side of the ottoman slats. I figure 3 supports, one on each side, and one in the middle.
I then took some slats, this is all not to exact size, Im just experimenting with scraps, nipped off 1/16 or so, just so they slide in the 3/4 dado slot easier.
I will make a front chair rail, in two pieces. The bottom to hold the front legs together, and the top will be connected to the pull out ottoman/leg rest, hopefully this all might work, the sample seems ok, but I ran out of time.
Take a look if anyone cares too, and please, offer me any suggestions to make this easier.

first pic, just the board with the curve drawn, sec pic, the plywood bent over the block for the curve, third the jig, the leg ,and the leg cut already, forth pic, somewhat of a foot rest sliding in, on its side, and on the floor, and the foot rest would be under the seat, not be seen until slid out.(the legs are 22 inches apart so the leg rest will have sufficient width for comfort, and a slight roll downward.

Attachments

• Tiki 287 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 287 (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Tiki 288 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 288 (Medium).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Tiki 289 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 289 (Medium).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Tiki 290 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 290 (Medium).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Tiki 291 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 291 (Medium).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Tiki 292 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 292 (Medium).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
the cumaru wood cuts a nice yellow fine powder when working with it.
Im wearing a full face mask and respirator, wife says I look like Im going to space, she came into the garage before to call me, starting joking, this is Houston to chairman, do you read me?