installing a cabinet

damian garcia

hello,

i'm making an entertainment cabinet for my house, made from 3/4 maple ply. i live in a fairly new house that has an inset area drywalled out for a built in cabinet. i'm placing the cabinet into this inset area where the face frame of the cabinet will overlap the edges of the drywall.My question is do i need to secure the cabinet to the walls or is that overdoing it? I would prefer not to.
would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. thanks

damian

Any chance the cabinet could tip out of the opening? If so, then a couple screws through the back - or sides - into wall studs should take care of it.

Otherwise, gravity is a wonderful invention...

I agree with Jim...a couple screws should be all that's needed, and if you ever decided to remove the cabinet, the drywall patching would be very minimal.
...Otherwise, gravity is a wonderful invention...
Jim's comment reminded me of a t-shirt I have. It says:

Obey Gravity. It's the Law!

I got this shirt not too long after taking a 3-story fall one night in Pasadena. :rolleyes:

hello,

i'm making an entertainment cabinet for my house, made from 3/4 maple ply. i live in a fairly new house that has an inset area drywalled out for a built in cabinet. i'm placing the cabinet into this inset area where the face frame of the cabinet will overlap the edges of the drywall.My question is do i need to secure the cabinet to the walls or is that overdoing it? I would prefer not to.
would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. thanks

damian
Hi Damian:wave:,
I agree with Jim and Vaughn on the couple of screws into the studs.
Since the casing/trim of the entertainment center will show, dont do any nailing or screwing through that. Pick places inside the unit, in the drawer cavity or in the space behind a door.
Find a stud on the left wall and one on the right wall. Measure their position in the hole by measuring from the sheetrock face. Measure from the back side of the casing/trim to that distance that would correlate to the center of the studs you found.Then in the correct place (going into the cavity you previously chose, with a predrilled hole) ddrill a hole from the outside in.
This is the place to sink some screws once you have put your cabinet in the hole and pushed it back till the casing/trim is flush against the sheetrock. Hold it in place tight against the sheetrock, plumb, and put in the screws.
Shaz:)
Welcome!:thumb: