Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dry air?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,103

    Dry air?

    Hey Vaughn,

    How is that air dryer manifold working? How much water do you drain off?

    I have been watching your posts on this and thinking of doing something like it, if yours works well enough.

    Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

    "Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

    Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

    Registered voting member

    Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    Tony, I'd guestimate that 90% of the water I get is coming out of the tank drain itself. The other 10% is coming out of the drying rack. So far, with my moderate use, all the other drain drops downstream from the rack have been bone dry.

    So in short...yep, it seems to be working great. I spent more money on it than I had originally thought I would, but it was worth it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,103

    Dry air?

    Thanks Vaughn,

    Good to know. Now I can start planning one too.

    I was thinking of using copper with sil-phos joints. (Same type of joint connection used in refrigeration.) Might just be a little cheaper and somewhat smaller area covered.

    Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

    "Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

    Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

    Registered voting member

    Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,475

    another recommendation!

    tony i too ran with a drying rack of pipe 1" black pipe with 4 drops before the filter and i have a automatic drian on the tank which ativates everytime it kicks on.. and like what vaughn is seeing the tank gets most of it then the first drop the others are dry.. so tods methode works well. dont know if smaller dia. pipe makes any differnce. the configuration is the key it needs to go up and down to work. i have 65ft of pipe before it gets the filter. just some added input.. now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ...dont know if smaller dia. pipe makes any differnce. the configuration is the key it needs to go up and down to work...
    The diameter makes a difference. Bigger diameter = more surface area = better cooling (and thus drying). And as I understand it, it's the distance more than the configuration. I've seen pics and drawings of another guy's system where he just ran a single horizontal loop to the other end of the shop and back, then put a drain drop at the end of the long run. Here are his drawings:

    http://www.1969supersport.com/draw1.html
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •